This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to find files in Plasma without indexing?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I've had quite a lot of trouble finding files that have not been indexed by baloo in the Plasma Desktop. How is that supposed to be done? AFAIK Dolphin relies solely on baloo and its database of indexed files. KFind on the other hand doesn't work well at all for me, especially when trying to search remote file systems or external drives.
I'm currently using CoreHunt app installed from Flathub, but it's far from ideal as it can't even open the containing folder of found files, and I have to enter the path to the file manually in Dolphin.
Do you know any good and easier ways for finding files that have not been indexed by baloo?
I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me.
nuxwoxaflyh
Registered Member
thebluequasar wrote:... AFAIK Dolphin relies solely on baloo and its database of indexed files...

Dolphin uses the baloo index when it thinks it can. If not, it tries its own "filenamesearch". The trick to using the native (there and then) search is to move to (and start your search from) an unindexed folder.

Dolphin gives different dialog boxes depending on whether it it going to try a "baloosearch" or "filenamesearch", https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=441068#c2 shows what these look like.

It gets somewhat messy though as described here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=424871#c4
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for explaining, I didn't know about the different search dialogs in Dolphin depending on whether baloo is being used or not. That's too subtle IMO, but still useful.
I believe I was experiencing this bug that files aren't found in indexed directories. That's why I started looking for third party search tools.
But now I purged the index of baloo, tried searching again, and it works just fine now.
Thanks a lot for your help