This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Strigi stops indexing to powersave

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
foolosophy
Registered Member

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:59 pm
Whenever I log into KDE the Strigi/Nepomuk icon in the sysbar shows a message that says that the indexing of files is suspended in order to save power. I run a Desktop computer, and in my "Energy management" settings I have a "performance" profile activated.

Why is Strigi stopping it's indexing? If I stop and restart the daemon, then it indexes fine, but every time I log back into KDE, the same thing happens.

I'm running KDE 4.2 on Arch Linux, with the KDEmod packages.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:54 am
Is this reproducible under a new user?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
foolosophy
Registered Member

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:17 am
[EDIT] I was wrong. Ignore this post.

Last edited by foolosophy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foolosophy
Registered Member
I can reproduce it. I created a new user. After the first login, nepomuk indexed everything (which was nothing) and it worked. Akonadi failed to start but then worked fine when I fired up Akonaditray. I logged out and signed back in, and when the desktop started I got a knotify that said that strigi would stop indexing to save resources.

I the exact same behaviour with my regular user. Strigi suspends indexing on start up. I have to manually activate it with the tray icon every time I sign in. Maybe there's some setting in powerdevil that I need to edit? I'm running a desktop, not a laptop, and I have "Performance" profile activated in powerdevil.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is probably because the system is still starting up, which is creating 'load' on the system. Once startup has finished, this goes away. Please file a bug at bugs.kde.org because the message provided is incorrect, and it should resume indexing when system load drops to normal levels.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]