This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Nepomuk copying files to /tmp/kde-$user before open

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yporti
Registered Member
OS
When I search with nepomuk and click to open a file, nepomuk copy them to /tmp/kde-$user with a name like nepomuk_3A_xxxxxxxxxxxx and them open the file. Is this normal? Is there any way to do it open the file directly?

I'm using KDE 4.3.90 in Gentoo ~amd64.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english. :)
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS
This is often a result of the handling application being specified or configured incorrectly.

If a file is being "downloaded" to a temporary file before being handed to the actual target application, the most often cause is that the target application's command did not specify %u or %U as part of its description file or that the command associated with the respective file type is missing these hints.

%u and %U tell the launcher framework that the application is capable of handling URLs on its own, if the are missing the launcher plays safe and assumes only local file access capability, thus has to download the file.

What is the file type in your case and which application is being launched?

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
yporti
Registered Member
OS
This problem occurs with virtually all filetypes, but only when opened from a search result. I checked the file associations in System Settings and are ok, all using %U. Okular, for example, use the command:

okular %U %i -caption "%c"

I also tried to start the application manually with the use "Open with" with %u or %U and the problem persists.

Cheers
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS
Ok, good to know.

Not sure what could cause this then, probably really Nepomuk doing that.

Lets wait if somebody else has an idea.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
This happens to me in KDE 4.4 versions.

Actually I see Nepomuk in this tree really unstable and I doubt that all the problems could be fixed when KDE 4.4 stable will be released.

The worst was virtuoso hangs.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
pinotree
KDE Developer
OS
Known issue; Sebastian Trueg said it is fixed in the upcoming KDE 4.4rc2.

Pino Toscano
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
pinotree wrote:Known issue; Sebastian Trueg said it is fixed in the upcoming KDE 4.4rc2.
Yes, I known, but he writes that virtuoso 6 would be necessary and I wonder if this change would be free of problems.

Apparently with virtuoso 5 all previous db problems would be solved but the remedy was worst than the disease.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.