This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to export all tags/ratings ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eteKa
Registered Member
OS

How to export all tags/ratings ?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:29 pm
Hello,

With KDE SC 4.4 and integration of virtuoso in distributions, semantic desktop is no more a futuristic project but a reality: I tested tagging, rating, filters in Gwenview, searches in Dolphin, all works fine.

But before starting the long work of tagging my gigabytes of photos, I want to be sure the work will not be lost if I change my computer or my distribution. So:

- Is their a way to export all tags/ratings to a file I could import in another KDE installation ?
- Or is it possible to write tags in IPTC data of pictures and to have them read by Nepomuk ?
- If none of these features exist, are there tools to manipulate Virtuoso storage ?

Many thanks !
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As far as I am aware there is no utility to backup / export the Nepomuk Virtuoso database at this time. However, when logged out of KDE, or with Nepomuk stopped you could copy the contents of its database elsewhere then restore that on other KDE installs.

I do not know if a appropriate Strigi backend exists for IPTC data from images at this time. If one existed, it would likely not allow the data to be written back though as I am not aware of other utilities supporting this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
eteKa
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to export all tags/ratings ?

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am
Thanks for your reply.

So if I understand correctly you suggest me to copy my .kdemod4/share/apps/nepomuk directory (which contains soprano-virtuoso.db file).
It should work but I'm not that confident (if some files/configs are different on the new installation and nepomuk shows an error at startup, I've no alternative plan...)

I can test if Strigi is able to index on IPTC data. That's not a problem if it cannot write back, I just have to use a software which can write IPTC to tag. The main problem of this solution is that Strigi data is only usable for searching.
My tags will not be usable as "filters" in Gwenview (nice feature) or Dolphin.

I've just checked b.k.o to see if there was something insteresting in nepomuk wishlist and I found this bug report:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204402
The reporter seems to try exporting his manual tags. I'll do a few tests...
eteKa
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to export all tags/ratings ?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 pm
I eventually decided to write a small tool to:
– read tags/ratings from Nepomuk and store them in files metadata
– read tags/ratings from files metadata and store them in Nepomuk

This is a command-line tool very easy to use. You just cd to a directory containing images tagged/rated via Dolphin or Gwenview and you type:
neposync --nepomuk-to-files

That's it: all tags/ratings for images in the current directory are now stored in files metadata and will never be lost. If you copy these images on another KDE powered computer, you just have to type:
neposync --files-to-nepomuk

to fill Nepomuk database with your valuable manual work.

The tool also allows you to display all tags/ratings stored in Nepomuk, or to clear them.

I thought other people could be interested, so I released the tool, named Neposync.

To install:
Code: Select all
git clone git://gitorious.org/neposync/neposync.git
cd neposync
qmake && make

All explanations here:
http://www.erixpage.com/blog/index.php/ ... s-metadata
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
There needs to be a frontend for backing up nepomuk/strigi data. There's no point in adding metadata to everything it's easily lost during a clean install, etc.
matrs
Registered Member
OS
Some advances by Vishesh Handa. Looks good
http://aorotos.wordpress.com/2010/06/24 ... ckup-sync/

eteKa wrote:I eventually decided to write a small tool...

Thanks, I will test it.

molecule-eye wrote:There needs to be a frontend for backing up nepomuk/strigi data. There's no point in adding metadata to everything it's easily lost during a clean install, etc.

Yeah, totally agree, and taking account that in practice, clean install is a must for proper functioning of some (many, maybe?) distributions , a official tool is a need, for sure.