This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

nepomuk not releasing the memory

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
slacknatcher
Registered Member
OS

nepomuk not releasing the memory

Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:24 am
hi folks

i like the concept that nepomuk propouse, i think is very useful ( for example i downloaded all the maxima wiki and i can search every command in it only typing what i want to do in maxima on dolphin and WALAAAH there is it), it is deffinitly the future, it only needs to be a litle bit more polished :)

my concern here is that i have a kind of problem, when i log in, Nepomuk use nearly 20MB of my ram, which is cool, but after a while using it ( some searchs and rating ,etc) it goes high to 100 MB , it's ok because i am using it, but when i close dolphin or gwenview, nepomuk doesn't release the 100 MB which makes me concern about a incresing memory consumption and the general performance of my sytem, also akonadi acts like this

any way to solve this? i am a kind of maniac about the performance :P

that is my biggest problem. also i would like to say that reading a lot of forums and etc, i think that the people would accept better nepomuk if it were seamless and invisible to the user, in a way that the user doesn't even realize that nepomuk is running ( for example not ranking as one of the firsts on htop) and also he could enjoy the bennefits of it, when nepomuk/strigi/akonadi can do that, then that day we could say that nepomuk is a totall success

thanks in advance

pardon my poor english
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try changing the memory allocation settings for Nepomuk in System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Search.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
slacknatcher
Registered Member
OS
i have set it to the minimum (50MB) my problem isn't that, the problem is why after made some searchs nepomuk doesn't release the 100MB of memory that it has adquired during the search?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you perform more searches, does this memory usage increase further?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
slacknatcher
Registered Member
OS

Re: nepomuk not releasing the memory

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 pm
yes and after close dolphin the memory isn't released
einar
Administrator
OS

Re: nepomuk not releasing the memory

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:03 pm
This is likely to be a bug. What release of the SC are you using?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
slacknatcher
Registered Member
OS
KDE SC 4.4.5 (kdemod) mmm where are the logs of nepomuk to check if there is any problem?