This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

nepomukservicestub takes more than 1.1GB of memory

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
agron_from_kosovo
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I am running KDE 4.3.5 on Mandriva 2010 with updates installed.

Nepomuk did not work for me when Mandriva 2010 was released but now I guess it got fixed.

However, it is taking a lot of memory. Is this normal? Can we make this use less memory?

It is preventing me to use certain virtual machines under vmWorkStation7.1!

Also, this folder is over 10GB but this no big deal:
/home/selimaja/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk
Hans
Administrator
OS
You should be able to limit the memory use in System Settings, Desktop Search.

For me it got much better performance-wise in 4.6 (especially the Strigi indexing), if possible I would recommend you to update to a newer version.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
agron_from_kosovo
Registered Member
OS
On my version there are 2 checkboxes on Basis Settings tab, and some folders and filters on second tab Advanced Settnigs.

Is there a way to limit memory usage using the command line, or files in /etc?

I will upgrade as soon as my distro sends me the notification.
google01103
Manager
it's in the advanced tab, but it could be a setting not mplemented until after 4.3.5

any reason you're running such an old version of KDE? stable is now 4.6

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

agron_from_kosovo
Registered Member
OS
For now I turned off desktop search and it released the 1.1GB memory.

This is my work workstation with Mandriva 2010.0 Powerpack. I don't have time for any possible downtime or mishaps. I have to keep this setting until my current project is over.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
I don't recall any features from 4.3 that relied on nepomuk and were actually very useful, so turning off nepomuk is probably a good idea for that version anyway.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
google01103
Manager
if you need/want desktop search in 4.3.5 try Recoll - there's both a kde4 gui and a kio

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x