This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

File comments in Dolphin and Gwenview and Windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mogliii
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I added comments to some jpg images in gwenview. These show up in dolphin. However once a comment has been added I had trouble changing it in dolphin and gwenview. The only way to change it persistently was to do right click on file and properties, then edit the comment.

But what is more troubling is that when I copy the commented file to windows and I choose right-click Properties there, the comment field is empty.

Can anyone give me a hint how to have file (jpg) comments persistent accross KDE and Windows?
google01103
Manager
Moved to Semantic Desktop as I'm guessing the tagging, as described, is available because Nepomuk is active.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hans
Administrator
OS
This seems relevant: http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=5878

To make comments persistent you should save it as EXIF data, not sure if the comment field in Dolphin/Gwenview does that or if they use Nepomuk.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
google01103
Manager
I think to save in EXIF you would need to use DigiKam

see: "Work with Photo Metadata in digiKam" http://scribblesandsnaps.wordpress.com/ ... n-digikam/ & "Organizing a Big Mess of Photographs with digiKam and ExifTool" http://ninedegreesbelow.com/2011/imagin ... gikam.html

note:

mogliii
Registered Member
OS
OK, so I understand there are two issues here:

1) Comments cannot be modified, as described in the Chakra forum

2) Comments entered in gwenview do not go to EXIF file information.

Issue 1) will be fixed as it seems to be a bug. But what about 2)? When I write a file comment in Dolphin or Gwenview, where does it get stored? In the file or in akonadi database?
If the latter I am afraid that the file commenting has a bit of a 'vendor' lock-in. The information gets lost when I move from KDE to Windows or Gnome.

Is this still being worked on or is the current situation the desired outcome? I feel best would be to do the commenting depending on file type:
a) if no metadata can be appended (filetype specification does not have comment defined, such as .txt): save to akonadi. But show a warning that information entered is not preserved on file-copy. Might be in the form of an exclamation sign with mouse-over information.
b) if the edited filetype has a comment field specified (eg jpg, mp3, odt): allow editing of both, file or akonadi comment. So I can decide where I want the comment placed.

That would make the KDE tools more powerful
google01103
Manager
Issue 1) will be fixed as it seems to be a bug. But what about 2)? When I write a file comment in Dolphin or Gwenview, where does it get stored? In the file or in akonadi database?

Akonadi doesn't really store data, it caches it http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Ak ... my_data.3F and as best as I can tell it is PIM centric

An explanation of Akonadi, Nepomuk, Strigi and Soprano - though a bit old it should help explain what they are and their interactions http://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/2009 ... explained/

mogliii
Registered Member
OS
Thank for the blogpost. Makes it clear. So let me revise my previous post:

When I write a file comment in Dolphin or Gwenview, where does it get stored? In the file or in virtuoso?
google01103
Manager
test it by adding a comment to a jpg using Dolphin or Gwenview and check the time stamp, it should not have changed.

mogliii
Registered Member
OS
Adding comment with Dolphin does not change the modfied date/time. But neither does adding EXIF information to a .jpg using Digikam.

What I also noticed is, that if a file with a "Dolphin" comment is locally moved, the comment is not preserved.
google01103
Manager
are you using an older version of KDE? I ask because there's been a lot of recent development

"if a file with a "Dolphin" comment is locally moved, the comment is not preserved" sounds like a bug

you can try the freenode channel #nepomuk-kde for help

mogliii
Registered Member
OS
Now after trying a bit more I am still not sure what is happening with these file comments and the nepomuk desktop search.

I'm using 4.7.3 (Kubuntu 11.10)

1) Comments entered in Dolphin and then moved in Dolphin (I waited until Strigi goes idle) are not maintained.

2) In Plasma Netbook Search and Launch, when I enter parts of the comment, the file is not mached. Is the comment excluded from Desktop search? Content of pdfs appears to be indexed.

3) In Plasma Netbook Search and Lauch, looking for files works only if typed from the front. Lets say I have a file "Paris_London.jpg" in /home/user/Pictures. Now I enter "London", and there is no match. When I enter "Pari" it matches. Is this intended? Often I might only know part of the filename, and not necessarily the beginning...

Difficult to say if these are bugs or features ^,^ Maybe I should join the chat and talk to somebody who's informed about the current development/status
ZanyPragmatist
Registered Member
As best as I've been able to work out, Dolphin "Descriptions" (at least those in version 15.12.3) correspond to XMP Dublin Core Descriptions (likewise Gwenview), not JPEG, TIFF or PNG Comments, which is likely why Windows may not show them the same way, or in the same 'place,' as Dolphin does. The last version of Windows I used was a dot-upgrade of Windows 7 (not even a whole service-pack upgrade; just a two-stage update of my installed Microsoft software), so I don't know what either Windows 8, 9, or 10 have for Properties windows, basic or tweaked by a third-party plugin as mine were (more often than not).

The best way to tell what these "Comments" are is to evaluate your image files (I'm presuming the formats are one of the three I mentioned) in a command-line tool like Exiv2 or Exiftool.

ZP