This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suggestion: Layer indicatining thumbnail in Canvas only Mode

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Almas
Registered Member
I really like the Show Canvas Only Mode in Krita!
This mode allows me to totally immerse myself in creative drawing without being distracted by the interface - just me and the canvas.
The thing is, when going up or down between layers, I have to switch back between normal mode and and back to Show Canvas only Mode in order to verify on witch layer I am currently drawing. Having to always switch between modes gets somewhat distracting with time.
Here is a video example http://youtu.be/YoAtp0Er3lg
What I would really love to see in the upcoming version of Krita are thumbnails, that indicate the current layer when I switch layers in Show Canvas only Mode. Just a little fading thumbnail on the corner of the screen indicating the current layer name, maybe even its mode and opacity would definitely speed up my work flow .
halla
KDE Developer
OS
Should be pretty doable, actually.
scottpetrovic
Registered Member
OS
The layer name already shows up as an indicator when you change layers (page up/page down). It would be a matter of adding the layer thumbnail to that notification.
halla
KDE Developer
OS
Exactly -- and the floating message already has some code to show an icon, so it should be really easy to do...
bmarple
Registered Member
@Almas
I don't know if my suggestion would fulfill the same need but I would want to be able to 'pin' individual dockers to the canvas. At the moment in 'canvas only mode' you can either choose display all the open dockers or hide them. It would be nice though if there was a small icon in each docker which if enabled would remain visible if 'Toolbox and palettes' is checked in preferences.
scottpetrovic
Registered Member
OS
bmarple: if you are wanting to show dockers with canvas-only mode, why even go into canvas only mode? Why not just go in full screen mode and hide the dockers you don't want to see. You could create multiple workspaces that just shows the docker arrangements you want to see. You could flip workspaces at that point. That would achieve what you want.

The purpose of canvas only mode is to eliminate as much UI as possible. Having some of the UI stay would not make it much of a canvas only mode.

Can you provide why this is needed? What type of workflow do you have where this helps? Putting your idea in canvas only mode might not be the best place for it.
bmarple
Registered Member
'Full screen' will set the window full screen and if you wanted Krita to occupy half the screen space then 'Canvas only mode' works best. Multiple workspaces also doesn't work as fast since 'Canvas only mode' is enabled through a single button press. As you say the purpose of 'Canvas only mode' is to eliminate as much UI as possible - the important thing here is its done in a really fast way and going back to normal mode with a single press of a button.

If i'm working on an image with lots of layers and i need to jump back and forth (like bottommost layer 1 to 3 to 7...1) - not simply 1 layer up/down. Sometimes you only want the layers docker

There are times when the layers docker is irrelevant but only the 'Overview' docker is needed.

At the moment 'Canvas only mode' has organised the UI elements into parts, except dockers - all the dockers remain open and hiding all other UI. It would be ideal if there was another option for dockers as a whole in the prefs, and an option for individual dockers from within the dockers via an icon next to 'lock docker'.
Yoyobuae
Registered Member
I would like such a feature as well. In my case I would like to keep the toolbox docker visible while on canvas only mode (but hiding all other dockers).
torpak
Registered Member
OS
I have no objection to the thumbnail but canvas only with some dockers sounds a bit like feature creep to me:
Yea it could be useful in some corner case workflow but it really complicates the mental model needed to work with the application.
I think canvas only should stay true to its name, but i'm no expert since i'm just a beginner in digital art.