This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suggestions for Krita

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ChefJ
Registered Member

Suggestions for Krita

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:37 pm
Hi!

I'm a Photoshop veteran of 8 years, and yeterday I was recommended to try Krita. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it was a free software that at first glance packed quite a punch. After a few hours of just jiggling about in it; picking out a few brushes that I liked, setting up all the hotkeys the way I want them, and fine tuning in general, I scratched down a few sketches (I didn't save any to show, sorry) to see how well it worked.

I am very impressed with this software. How customisable it is, the arsenal of tools available (some not available in Photoshop, I might add), the brushes and how they're set up, and how smoothly it runs. I am especially fond of the right-click HUD that shows a color-whel along with a set of brushes. However, there are a few features I am missing from Photoshop. Now, I might've just missed these since I've only sat down with the software for a few hours, and I'm not aware of what is on the list for the next version of Krita, but I'm hoping some of these features is or will be implemented in the near future.

- Wacom Pen Pan/Scroll
The way I work, I'm used to panning and scrolling in any software using a button on my Wacom pen. The button is assigned Wacoms preset "Pan/Scroll..." function, and works in Photoshop as well as in Chrome, Spotify, and others. In Krita, I can't get this to work at all. Even rebinding the pen button to 'Space' to try and use the standard Space+Left Click command to pan won't work. I use a Wacom Cintiq 13 with an Intuos 5 Pen, in case that's relevant.

- Invoke 'Move' Tool
In Photoshop, you're able to temporarily access the Move tool from the Brush tool by pressing and holding in Ctrl. Releasing Ctrl takes you back to the Brush tool. This is a functionality I'm missing in Krita. I'm aware Ctrl is used to invoke the Color Picker tool by default in Krita, but any rebindable key to invoke the Move tool would be nice.

- Move selection
The ability to move a selection area without its contents isn't the biggest loss, but would still be nice to have in Krita.

- Extensive Palette Organisation
There are times when the same motif have to be redrawn in multiple works with color consistency, for example when coloring a web comic. Multiple characters with multiple colors calls for some organizing of the palette. In Krita I found that you were able to import palettes from Photoshop, which is great, but then you're stuck with a specific number of columns. I'd mch like to be able to change this number after the palette has been made. Also, it would be nice to be able to move the colors around in the palette. I have yet to find a way to do that.

Also, sometimes when drawing linework I get a small jig or blob in the line, which isn't a big issue but still annoying.

Thank you for your time.
ramskulls
Registered Member

Re: Suggestions for Krita

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:35 am
Palette is a stretch goal and will be implemented for the next big version of krita. The move selection can be done if you activate global selection layer I believe. I hope that answers some of your quetions! I'm glad you took the time to try the software out!
n-i-c-l-a-s
Registered Member

Re: Suggestions for Krita

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:20 pm
ChefJ wrote:Hi!

- Wacom Pen Pan/Scroll
The way I work, I'm used to panning and scrolling in any software using a button on my Wacom pen. The button is assigned Wacoms preset "Pan/Scroll..." function, and works in Photoshop as well as in Chrome, Spotify, and others. In Krita, I can't get this to work at all. Even rebinding the pen button to 'Space' to try and use the standard Space+Left Click command to pan won't work. I use a Wacom Cintiq 13 with an Intuos 5 Pen, in case that's relevant.

Have you tried binding your Wacom Pen Button to "Middle Mouse Click"? I use an Intuos 4 with an Art Pen and I can scroll/pan the canvas when assigning one of the pen buttons to middle click. you can then rotate the canvas with shift+middle click and zoom with ctrl+middle click. It is possible that I customized Krita's settings for this to work when I first installed it. But it is definitely possible. (You have to add an application-specific binding for Krita in the Wacom settings, of course, so that it does not screw up your Photoshop etc settings)