This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Permanent autosaves

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
greycore
Registered Member

Permanent autosaves

Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Of course i have created this thread becouse i just lost a stupid amount of progress on a piece i was working on. 5+ hours. And not the first time.

My pc is weak and more often than not i lose progress due to Krita freezing, not crashing. When that happens, the only option i have is to close without saving, since saving is also frozen. And guess what happens then? Since it didnt technically crash, the autosaves are deleted.

Why delete the autsoaves?
There should be an option to keep a certain amount of autosaves, and lets have the rest be deleted.
Also the autosaves should be made despite whether the user saved or not.

What does it matter if Krita didnt crash and progress was lost to any other reason? Autosaves should be there to overcome any save loss.

THIS IS WHAT I WANT:
autosaves created all the time disregarding whether the user saved or not.
They are never deleted.
The user can specify a number x
When there are more than x of autosaves, the oldest gets deleted. The rest remain.
halla
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Permanent autosaves

Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:05 pm
Which version of Krita are you using? And on which OS?

If you can properly close Krita, Krita can save. You could kill the Krita process through whatever facility your os offers -- then autosave files won't be removed.

But for you, the proper solution is probably to use Save Incremental or Save Incremental Backup.
greycore
Registered Member

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:39 pm
Im using Windows 10 and Krita version 4.3.0. I guess i could update it. Also what are those two things? I dont think ive seen that option in the settings... Also thanks for the advice. next time it freezes ill just end the Krita process
halla
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:15 am
If you're still using 4.3.0 you should update, yes.
greycore
Registered Member

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:16 pm
Welp, one way or another, i found my own solution which is really cool. I wrote a program which 'secures' a specified amount of autosaves in a seperate folder. Im probably the only one who has this problem so i wont bother to share the program.
tymond
KDE Developer

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:33 pm
I was thinking of a Python script that would save automatically incremental version every half an hour, that would mean I won't have to save manually ever except on closing. But I never had time to do it...

Also really, if you can interact with Krita, then you should be able to save it - Krita should ask you if you want to save it. If you can't interact with Krita and you only interact with Windows frozen programs fake window manager (the one that tells you "Krita doesn't respond, do you want to close?"), then Krita shouldn't remove the autosave, because it's not reacting to anything. I don't know how can you get frozen Krita and deleted autosaves. Maybe Windows tries to "gracefully" close it first and Krita does react? I know that on Linux ctrl+C (in console) is enough to close Krita leaving autosaves behind, but I haven't checked the other signals...

In any case, closing via Task Manager should leave you autosaves, too.

Oh and if you get it often, check Hep -> Show Krita for bug reports. That should both tell you if Krita was responding in the time you were closing, and you can check if there is anything that says "ASSERT" or "SAFE ASSERT" (that would be worrying (although maybe explaining freezes) and you should write about it here).
greycore
Registered Member

Re: Permanent autosaves  Topic is solved

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:10 pm
My program will detect a new autosave very quickly as it checks every second, though i can slow it down a bunch. (I setup Krita to autosave every minute)

The reason why everything screwed up was becouse some operation froze, then i tried saving which also froze and i think the save was tossed away. I also probably didnt save often enough or by some miracle didnt save even once. And then i managed to restart Krita by cancelling the save. Didnt realize that at the moment. A stupid mistake.

But one way or another i now have two solutions that elliminates any problem of that kind. My program and the strategy of intentionally crashing Krita when saving freezes
tymond
KDE Developer

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:21 pm
Yes. Well, better have a strategy than not :)
greycore
Registered Member

Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:46 am
Well damn. My whining has been silenced. Thank you so much! The devs actually disabled the auto deleting. I now see the autosaves stay behind. And i already have benefited from it a few times. Not that much progress would be lost, but still, now none was lost or none should get lost in the future. Again, thank you!