This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Copy/Paste issue fix suggestion

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
greycore
Registered Member

Copy/Paste issue fix suggestion

Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:39 am
Currently when copying a selection and pasting it in, Krita will create a new layer. In my opinion, this is not the optimal way of handling copying and pasting, becouse it adds a lot of inconvenience. And as i searched for a solution for this i found a lot of people who have been bothered by this method. Consider the fact that those people were only the ones who voiced their complaints. And in my years of experience there was not one time it didnt bother me.

My request is this:
A copy/paste feature which would paste within the selected layer without creating a new layer.
Scenario is this - there is only one layer. I want to copy a selection, paste it into the same layer, transform it and apply without tinkering with layers at all. Currently it will create a new layer. But what if it doesnt need to? Here is how i imagine it - you select your selection, press ctrl+c, then ctrl+v and no new layer was created. Instead there is the copied selection in a state of transformation exactly where the original was, however when you move the transformation, the original is still there, and now its same as if you didnt copy anything, just transformed a selection. All that is left is to transform it, move it where you wanted it to be, and press enter. And now you have the original, a transformed copy of it and all done within the same layer.

I suspect this might be complicated to add, since i couldnt really find any drawing app that does this, but it would be superior. It would save up on actions, and if you animate for example, it would potentially save thousands of actions within the same animation, make the workflow much smoother too.

Original method actions:
1. Make a selection
2. Right click and select copy to new layer / (recently found out you can just ctrl+c which is going to save a little effort)
3. Press ctrl+v, and a new layer appears which is then selected
4. Press hotkey for transform and do all the transformations needed.
5. Merge either via hotkey (i disabled it since it has literally cost me 10ths of hours becouse i would click it accidentally) or find the selected layer in layers docker, right click it and click merge
Total: up to 9 actions for this

Alternative method actions:
1. Make a selection
2. Right click and select copy / press ctrl+c
3. Press ctrl+v
4. Apply transformations
5. Press enter
Total: up to 6 actions plus less looking around, less chance to miss-click, interrupts the workflow less

Apologies if this doesnt make sense. But i really really want this. And have for years...
TheraHedwig
KDE Developer
OS
Krita 5.0 has 'paste into layer' under the edit menu, which does what you want. There's also an option to activate the transform tool after pasting in settings->configure Krita->general->tools.
greycore
Registered Member

Re: Copy/Paste issue fix suggestion

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:38 am
TheraHedwig wrote:Krita 5.0 has 'paste into layer' under the edit menu, which does what you want. There's also an option to activate the transform tool after pasting in settings->configure Krita->general->tools.

First of all, youre a god. Second, youre a god. Thank you so much! How did my stupid head couldnt find this anywhere i have no clue... I had no hope this would exist, and then there you come and just bam. Again, thank you, you just made Krita 50% better, where i already was in love.