This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Phonon blocks other non phonon apllications

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
hi!
there's one thing, that bothers me alot, ever since ke 4.0:
If a application that uses phonon is running I can't here the sound from any applications that doesn't use phonon directly.
I'm using the xine backend for phonon, and there's even no sound from an application that uses also xine, but not phonon.
Is there any workaround for this please?
I should probably also mention that I've connected my soundsystem via spdif.

If I'm using amarok 1.4 (xine) together with a video on youtube everything is fine, also using juk and dragon together works. The problem does only occur if I mix phonon and non phonon apps.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Let me guess...you have pulseaudio installed. I had the same problem, only difference is that I _sometimes_ got audio but audio that sounded like a FM-radio with bad reception.

Once I removed pulseaudio, things works a lot better!

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Also, if you do remove pulseaudio, make sure to remove any libflashsupport packages as well, since those will call pulseaudio also. I also had the same distorted sound issue described above, and removed it without difficulty.

Last edited by bcooksley on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
actually I do not have pulseaudio or any other sound server, but I do of course use libflashsupport.
I thought that maybe installing a sound server would solve my problem?
do you have any other ideas?
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Daniel_Boff wrote:actually I do not have pulseaudio or any other sound server, but I do of course use libflashsupport.
I thought that maybe installing a sound server would solve my problem?
do you have any other ideas?

Well, for one thing: which flash-version are you using? If it's 10 or higher, libflashsupport shouldn't be needed. It's meant for flash 9.x only IIRC.

Which distro are you using? It may be something distro-specific problem you've run into.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
I just looked at my packages and I do not use libflashsupport, but flashplugin 10.0.22.87-1.

I'm using archlinux x86_64, and i think they use vanilla kde and do not modify kde's packages.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Is DMix setup correctly in ALSA?

KDE Sysadmin
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
that is what I was going to ask next.
I just found a blog, its writer had the same problem as me and he solved it by adding the "hint" command to his asoundrc and asound.conf, my asoundrc and asound.conf currently look like this:

Code: Select all
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
rate 44100 #many new cards are 48000 only
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
hint {
show on
description "Onboard Soundcard"
}
}
ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}

at first I didn't have an asound.conf
this partly solved my problem mostly after making Onboard Soundcard the preferred one.
I now can watch flash videos and also listen to music with juk.
xmoto audio and music does also work most of the time, I sometimes get the message "Onboard Soundcard is not working, using *** instead", I only get this message with the combination juk/xmoto yet, and can't reproduce this.
anyway it's much better now.
Even dts/ac3 work in dragon

I haven't used asound.conf before, could you please give me some tipps how I can improve the dmix settings?

thanks in advance,
Daniel

Last edited by Daniel_Boff on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately my knowledge doesn't really extend to ALSA configuration, however I do know that you can't have more than one application playing something if you don't have DMix. ( Alternately, you are trying to use a non pulseaudio application with pulseaudio running )

KDE Sysadmin
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
kde 4.4 makes this issue come up again. my modifications in asound.conf are not recognized from phonon: it simply doesn't find Onboard Soundcard ...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Note that Phonon does not try to ignore your asound.conf, however if you have any Virtual Devices it may not find them, as it uses Solid which uses HAL to discover your Audio devices.

KDE Sysadmin
koeff
Registered Member
OS
Hello, guys. I just registered to confirm this bug. I'm using kde 4.4 on gentoo. Daniel, thanks for the workaround, I'm going to test it in a while.
koeff
Registered Member
OS
Well, unfortunately it doesnt work for me. :(
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
yes, the workaround doesn't seem to work anymore.
I'm now using pulseaudio, which was quiet easy to install and with its kdemultimedia integration (there's compile flag for this if your distribution hasn't turned this on by default) it's awesome :)