This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom Shortcuts: Send Keyboard Input - AltGr Problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Voelkerball
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,
I am using a german keyboard-layout and want to make a shortcut that emulates the keyboard-input "[]". I have tried several varations in "send keyboard Input", but none of these work:

Code: Select all
Alt Gr+8:Alt Gr+9

altgr+8:altgr+9

AltGr+8:AltGr+9

Does AltGr work with Custom Shortcuts, anyway?

I've tried an alternative way, typing:
{:[:(:):]:}

but the output was:
} ] ( ) ] }

and, funny thing, after a regular update of some kde-files:
78()90

Help would be very appreciated, Pascal
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I have determined that the "Send Keyboard Input" function of Input Actions / Custom Shortcuts appears to have broken unfortunately.

From what I can tell, this is likely caused by it stealing focus when the shortcut is pressed - meaning the input it sends goes nowhere.

Please search for this issue on bugs.kde.org and report it if it has not yet been reported.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Voelkerball
Registered Member
OS
From what I can tell, this is likely caused by it stealing focus when the shortcut is pressed - meaning the input it sends goes nowhere.

This problem is not occuring with my kde[4.7.4], every application i've tested gets the input fine (Eclipse, Skype, Kate).
The only Bug i have is the problem with AltGr. Well, i could report it as a bug,
but maybe there is a special keycode or something that emulates AltGr, and i just dont know about it.

So anybody has an idea? Or should i really just file it as a bug?

Pascal
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Interesting, it did not work for me.
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any special keys.

KDE Sysadmin
Voelkerball
Registered Member
OS
There is a new bug reported at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=295633 describing the problem.

So it was a bug, after all^^ time to wait...
Ah and, i dont know who has reported the bug, but thanks for that.
JimPope
Registered Member
OS
I'm using Slax 6.1.2 [now very modified/updated] with Xorg 1.4.2 with KDE 3.5.10 and this bug is in that as well.

While you're waiting for the bug-fix, you might like to try a work-around that works for me.

In /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86, the entry for the German keyboard shows

xkb_keymap "de" {
xkb_keycodes { include "xfree86" };

and if we look in there (/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86) there is a list of 'Extended keys that may be generated on "Internet" keyboards' which I don't have on my keyboard and so won't interfere with existing keys.
Choose one, let's say <I60>, and

edit the 'de' keyboard symbol file (/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/de) to insert an entry for that 'pseudo' key -

======================

name[Group1]="Germany";

key <I60> { [ bracketleft, bracketright ] };
key <AE02> { [ 2, quotedbl, twosuperior, oneeighth ] };
key <AE03> { [ 3, section, threesuperior, sterling ] };

======================

Keep the
key <AE08> { [ 8, parenleft, bracketleft ] };
key <AE09> { [ 9, parenright, bracketright ] };
lines for normal keyboard entry.

The shortcut entry [:]: then gives the expected output -> []
Voelkerball
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,
While i want this working so badly, i dont even have the folder /etc/X11/xkb.
Should i install something like xkbset or xkb-data to solve this? Or is it enough to just create the folder and the files? (likely not)

Any help is appreciated, Pascal
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It should be enough to create this folder from what I can tell.

KDE Sysadmin
Voelkerball
Registered Member
OS
I am confused now - adding the xkb-folder doesnt do anything for me, no autogeneration of the folder "keymap" or "xfree86" or any files.
While i would like to change the configuration, there is just no configuration at all - are you sure you are using X.Org and not XFree86, JimPope?
(Just a guess by a newb by the way, since the folder "xfree86" seems to identify your X-Server)
by the way, my Xorg-Version is 1.11.3.

Well, maybe the same stuff as yo udescribed can be done with Xmodmaps - i am trying to dig into that stuff, not easy^^

Regards, Pascal
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It probably can be done with Xmodmap I imagine. With regards to the keymaps - I would be surprised if one was not able to specify the keymap they wanted to use manually (as long as they had a full keymap available)

KDE Sysadmin