This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mouse gestures, global keyboard actions and showing desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cyberbat
Registered Member
OS
Hello!

I use kde 4.7.4 in gentoo.

Can I set global mouse gestures? For example I wish to minimize all windows aka showDesktop action on mouse gesture. I know two ways to do it with global shortcup and both of them can be used (showdesktop widget hotkey and kwin global hotkey). But how can I set it with mouse gesture? I tried to do it using keyboard action but it doesn't seem to work.

What is syntax of keyboard action window? How can write Meta+M hotkey there?

Thanks for your advance.
Hans
Administrator
OS
You can create mouse gestures in System Settings -> Shortcuts and Gestures -> Custom Shortcuts -> Edit -> New -> Mouse Gesture Action. Make sure Gestures are enabled in Settings.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a command to show the desktop (Bug #173759), you can however use the following D-Bus command to toggle the dashboard:
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /App toggleDashboard

You can also try "Send Keyboard Input" but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
cyberbat
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a command to show the desktop (Bug #173759), you can however use the following D-Bus command to toggle the dashboard:
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /App toggleDashboard

Thank you, just near that what I want. Where can I being not programmer read about d-bus command reference?

Hans wrote:You can also try "Send Keyboard Input" but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Me too. Thats the problem. Should I post new bug?
Snowhog
Registered Member
OS
Hans
Administrator
OS
cyberbat wrote:Thank you, just near that what I want. Where can I being not programmer read about d-bus command reference?

I don't know much about D-Bus either, most of my knowledge come from trial and error. :) Two useful tools are qdbusviewer and dbus-monitor.

Me too. Thats the problem. Should I post new bug?

Not sure where the problem lies, but sure you can search and see if you can find a bug report for it, and if there isn't one, file a report. However, as far as I know that module isn't actively maintained, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

A workaround is to set a global shortcut for Show Desktop and then send the corresponding keyboard input with xte. See my blog entry under "Emulate key presses" for more information.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts