This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

A few Desktop display issues

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Raevyn
Registered Member
OS

A few Desktop display issues

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Hello,

I am transitioning from 3.5 to 4.x and there are a few features missing or changed that I am hoping to maybe fix to more match to 3.5. Obviously I am aware it wont be exactly the same, but I do want to try to approximate it as best I can.

1. Is there a way to get the desktop menu back in 4 from what was in 3? I dont mean the menu that would display the different applications that are highlighted menus but rather, the static one that was very similar to MacOS Finder.

2. The icons on the system tray do not seem to be able to change in size like they could in 3.5.. is there a way to do this?

3. GTK apps are even uglier in 4 than in 3.5. Boxy with terrible shadows. Any ideas to make them cleaner again?

4. My panels do not seem to be able to use an image file to change.. is that normal?

5. My clock is set to display the date as well and I seem to have an issue with the time overlapping the date, and the fonts, size, and colours do not match. When I was researching I noticed the date doesnt seem to be display customizable as in 3.5.. is that the case or is there something I could do?
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: A few Desktop display issues

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 pm
My guess is that your old ~/.kde (3) and the new ~.kde (4) clash. During the introduction of KDE4 Kubuntu had a ~/kde4

I suggests you rename ~/.kde to ~kde.old, log out and log back in again to see whether it clears up any of your issues.

Debian testing
google01103
Manager

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 pm
1 - right click Kmenu -> switch to classic menu style

2- no, even if you change the size of the panel they are constant

3 - I assume you are running Gnome 3 apps if so see viewtopic.php?f=17&t=99672&p=215774&hilit=gtk3#p215774

4 - they use svg files, the panels, desktop and themes are completely revamped from the 3.x series so there is no easy way to place an image as the panel background (might be possible if you change the image to a svg but beyond my knowledge base and should be posted as a separate request)

5 - the clock and date should adjust depending on the formats chosen, could you post a pic of the overlapping. if you need more control over the clock then I would suggest the adjustale clock plasmoid (widget) http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ad ... tent=92825

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Raevyn
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 pm
Thank you for the replies.

So in regards to my first question, about a desktop menu, I wasnt referring to the K menu. It was a menu that was a band that went across the top. It had File/Sessions/New/Bookmarks/Desktop/Windows/Help. I cant post a pic here though so hopefully that helps?

As for my clock.. now they dont overlap (since I restarted) but the date and time are not.. right. I can take a pic but again, I dont seem to be able to find a way to attach here.

Oh and my gtk apps.. I am using Firefox, Thunderbird and few others. I will see if I can get that oxygen-gtk update though. Hopefully that helps.
google01103
Manager

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:21 pm
the forum doesn't post pics, you need to post them on a pic posting site and then place the link her
like: imageshack.us tinypic.com freeimagehosting.net etc..........

pictures are good as I have no idea about the menu nor what you mean by "date and time are not right"

for FireFox see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17786&hilit=firefox, probably relevant to Thunderbird also

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 am
I am guessing you are referring to a Mac style menu in the panel here. For this, I think the availability depends on the distribution - for Qt apps it will work if you have a new enough version of Qt - but for Gtk you distribution needs to have patched it - which I believe Ubuntu/Kubuntu do.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]