This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 Kiosk mode - Error in documentation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
waldelf
Registered Member
OS
first of all.. i am happy to see that there is a kiosk mode available for kde4 - this makes kde usable for enterprise desktops

unfortunately there is no GUI for that and the documentation seems incomplete.

also i found an error : it is "action/lock_screen" and not just "lock_screen" in kubuntu 12.04 to prevent a user from locking the screen by making the menu option disappear..

# how do i change that in the documentation?
# is there some progress on porting the kde3 gui? (maybe packages?)
# where do i find the best documentation with ALL available and valid kde/plasma/kwin/etc. kiosk options?

thx

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I believe the only documentation as such is located on KDE Techbase. Searching for Kiosk action restrictions should provide the appropriate page.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
waldelf
Registered Member
OS
http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Admi ... Kiosk/Keys this is what i found.. it seems the most complete documentation.

after a wasting a lot of time i found out that "lock_screen" needs an "action/" - this is not mentioned in the documentation.. "run_command" or "moveable_toolbars" do NOT need the "action/" prefix.. this has to be corrected.

or maybe it's a kubuntu only problem? could you test this on opensuse and probably edit the documentation ?

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Documentation on KDE Techbase can be edited by anyone who is logged in. As far as I am aware, this is not Kubuntu specific.

KDE Sysadmin
waldelf
Registered Member
OS
well.. i got an account and edited the wiki page so it would be working for someone who tries (at least) .. BUT .. it just isn't consistent since the entry "action/lock_screen" is in a section of the wiki page where every <key> should work without prefix.. ???

furthermore i found plasma/containment_actions and plasma/containment_context_menu not to be working either..
run_command is working but it doesn't remove the contextmenu-entry.. it just does nothing..
:( :(
i'm sure i would find a lot of other things not working as described in this wiki-page (if i had the time)
_____
what do you think.. should i just file a bug.. who is responsible for the kiosk capabilities of plasma ?
i really would like to get in contact with the person(s) developing this features..

thx again!

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Filing bugs or sending a email to the plasma-devel@kde.org mailing list with a list of the problems you have found in the Kiosk support in Plasma would probably be best I think.

KDE Sysadmin