This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

weird colors scheme glitch

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Catastrophe
Registered Member
OS

weird colors scheme glitch

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm
it goes like this: at totally random, and i mean random, it doesnt matter what im doing, the color scheme of all open windows just jumps back to the default oxygen (i'm using the Obsidian Coast scheme).

but it doesn't just switch back, the current theme i'm using stays selected on the systemconfig screen; the only way to fix this is choosing other theme and then back to the one i'm using.

screencast of the bug

running KDE 4.8.2 on Fedora 16 x64 with a GeForce GTX 560M with propietary drivers. dunno if i shoud provide any other info.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: weird colors scheme glitch

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 pm
I notice this happened when you change your Icon scheme. If you change non-style related settings (such as your double click preference) does this happen then?

Also, is the correct colour scheme loaded reliably on login?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Catastrophe
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:39 am
it happens, as i said is totally random, but it seems as if something were triggering it.

Sometimes it doesnt happen when changing the icon set, or any of the appearance options, but sometimes happen when uncompressing a package on Ark, right-clicking on dolphin or, as i just found out a couple minutes ago, saving a pic on KolourPaint.

the scheme is loaded correctly on login
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 am
Very weird. It seems that some signal is being sent out to reload the settings for something - but the subsequent setting read fails, leading to the default being loaded.

Do you use NFS backed home directories, or anything other than a locally attached, ext3/ext4 formatted /home?

KDE Sysadmin
vdemin
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 am
I had this problem too.
Check the GUI style in qtconfig, it must be set as Oxygen (not GTK+).
dyfet
Registered Member
I have been experiencing something that sounds a lot like this...

If I touch settings, say in Dolphin, on something entirely unrelated, for example, by just ticking natural sort order, and then applying, the color scheme of ALL my open applications, including the dolphin instance, changed. This was first noticeable for me in Dolphin in particular because the "select" color over the current item in the side bar goes from soft blue to ugly purple. A couple of times ALL my apps also lost their default silver-grey default window color and became white.

In each case, the color change was not "persistent". Re-launching the app, or starting a new app, would have the correct color scheme again, although the ones that got reset would stay with the wrong colors until they were closed. Also no changes appeared in system settings. However, if I do change something in system settings, not just in Dolphin's settings, I also get this problem. It is possible settings in other applications did this also but I did not notice because usually it is just the selection color that changes, and there may not have been anything visible at the time using selection.

I had a chance to try qt4config. Sure enough it was set to "Gtk" style rather than oxygen or "desktop default". I would have expected it to follow KDE, but it does not. I used to have Xfce4 on this machine and switched it to kde, so it still had some settings that made sense for that. After I changed qtconfig the problem was gone! I also got rid of the extra .gtkrc files I had around my home as well, so that any gtk apps ran under KDE do not get invalid settings from the old system when using gtk oxygen now...

"Information in the computer age is the last genuine free market left on earth except those free markets where indigenous people are still surviving" - Russell Means
Landak
Registered Member

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am
I too have been experiencing this bug, or a bug related to it. Occasionally, randomly (and I mean randomly) the colour scheme will default back to oxygen.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 am
Do any of the people who have experienced this recently used NFS mounted home directories?
Alternately, does anyone have their home directory on a non-ext family file system?

KDE Sysadmin