This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Adding menu with submenus to panel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
strycat
Registered Member

Adding menu with submenus to panel

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm
In the K menu I created a submenu called terminals and added several ssh sessions to the various servers I work with. I further added another submenu to terminals called nonweb and added more ssh sessions to other servers.

This all works as expected in the K menu.

Now the trick is I want the terminals menu to be on the panel and have the submenus work.

I thought at first I'd just right click on the terminals menu in the K menu and choose add to panel. That added a K icon to the panel and when I click it, it opens up dolphin to the applications menu. Not at all what I wanted.

Next I tried adding a shelf from the panel settings. I then pointed the shelf to applications:/terminals/ which basically works. However the submenu in it, opens up dolphin again.

How do I get the submenus to work like they did in KDE 3.x?

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm using kubuntu 11.10 with KDE 4.7.4
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you looked into the Lancelot menu?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
strycat
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Have you looked into the Lancelot menu?

Thanks for the suggestion. However adding a menu with a submenu from Lancelot to the panel still results in the behavior I described above.

If there was a way to make Lancelot start in a particular menu that might work since its behavior is correct.

Let me try to rephrase my problem with an example from scratch:

Go to the menu editor. Add a new submenu (Submenu A we'll call it). Put a couple of applications in Submenu A. Create another submenu (Submenu B) to the submenu you created earlier (Submenu A). Add some applications to Submenu B. Now add Submenu A to the panel. Click on Submenu A on the panel, from there Click on Submenu B. Instead menu behavior, it opens up dolphin to wherever Submenu B's directory is on your harddrive. It should just open up Submenu B as a menu.
strycat
Registered Member
I booted up my old box last night with kubuntu 10.10. It works correctly there. Don't understand why it isn't working now on kubuntu 11.10
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I do not know why this is occuring. It could be possible that a regression has occurred.
The Application Launcher applet seems to have had this option at some point, but has lost it apparently.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
strycat
Registered Member
Looks like someone beat me to submitting a bug report.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297848

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
dmc1961
Registered Member
Just came to the forum to try and resolve this as I have spent ages on this. I have been using KDE since the days of Caldera (so late 1990s/early 2000s), and have never left it as my default setup. Excellent front end to 'any' Linux desktop and had been with me right up to now on Fedora 20.

I noted all of this forum banter on adding a submenu to the panel and I am sure I could do this back in the years gone by, but now that I want to implement this again, the solution alludes me and I see I am not alone from the said banter on-line, not just here.

Like the original poster of this question back in 2012 - I am running out of icons that comfortably fit on my panel bar. I love being able to just click on an icon and launch 'whatever' app/utility that it is.

I now want to do the same thing but reduce the icons on the panel bar by 'grouping' them into specifics (shells, browsers etc) - I use a bunch of different shells (konsole, terminator, gnome-terminal, xterm, terminology) to do a bunch of different command line things - I like having the variety and using the different interfaces to do colours and auto bits particular to each one.... I live at the command line wherever possible.... enough about me and my shenanigans, I simply need help with where to go as none of the suggestions that have been posted on-line (and I have tried quite a few) match up with what I see or get on the screen, or the overall result I do get when I follow the destructions posted.

So I create a submenu or menu with all of my favourite shells with their respective icons. I now want to put this menu icon on the panel so when I click on it I get a list of the shell icons I want to choose from. All sounds nice and easy.

My problem is that when I right-click on the menu or submenu and add it to the panel, I don't get my settings I get the whole KDE 'kick-off' launcher instead - is this a bug or just me being a gumby?

From what I have seen I am far from alone with needing/wanting this simple ability to click on a panel icon and have it present me with a choice of additional icons to then choose from to run something.

vi/vim and I are dear friends so I am not afraid to hack around with stuff but just want to do it the nice glossy way before I start trying to change things.

Any guidance would be much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Updated today to KDE 4.12 (kde-baseapps-4.12.5-2.fc20.i686 and its band of brothers/sisters).

Update:
I used a work-around posted here https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297848 and it worked exactly the way I wanted it. So for now you can disregard my post and I will wait silently until this whole process is easier :-)

Adding to what I did. I already had a menu in my KDE Launcher called "idavid" (yes I know, I was inspired to add a menu of my own back in the days when the movie "I-Robot" with Will Smith was around).
I added a submenu called "dmc_shells" and initially added an item for kconsole to this new submenu as this is one of the intended 'shell' utils I wanted off my bottom panel.

So here is what my ${HOME}/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc looks like:

[Containments][3][Applets][173]
geometry=622,4,34,34
immutability=1
plugin=simplelauncher
zvalue=16

[Containments][3][Applets][173][Configuration]
icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/nm-device-wired.png
relativePath=idavid/dmc_shells-2/

I did have to change my icon to something I wanted but this is exactly what I was after so my sincere gratitude to Juergen Harms who posted this work-around in the bugs reporting.

When I added the new submenu under "idavid" I called it "dmc_shells" and then right-clicked on the menu to add it to the panel - so I am not sure on the entry being "dmc_shells-2" in the plasma-desktop-appletsrc file, but I didn't care, it worked and that is all I cared about :)
Thanks again and just confirming following the procedure on the link above worked well for me..... now I must resist the urge to create more of these....