This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot change file associations

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dailyplummet
Registered Member

RE: Cannot change file associations

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 am
I'm sorry to have to say this, but these responses are very poor and unhelpful. I really don't wish to flame anyone, but if you don't know what you're talking about, stay off the forum.

-dp
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:11 am
@Dailyplummet: Please read the KDE Code Of Conduct: http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct.

Could you explain why the above posts are unhelpful?

Last edited by bcooksley on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Tomaz
Registered Member

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:19 am
actually, it`s pretty easy.
there are 2 ways of associating a file to open with an program.
you can associate a metatype, that will not always works, because some files have diferent metatypes ( for instance .cbr ( comicbooks) are rar files, so if you set the rar-metatype to be opened with ark, it will open the .cbr files too. ) ,
in 3.5 the way that I did it was opening konqueror, going into preferences, file association.
from there I added a new file tipe with the extension that I needed ( .cbr and cbz on my case ) and associating it to the program, ignoring the mimetype.
hope that helps.

Rocs developer. (and no, i'm not proud of it) ;D
marianoacc
Registered Member

Sun May 10, 2009 1:40 am
Hi,

For me the problem was than konqueror/kde read file association at session logon, and then take this association from memory?, not from file profilerc.

After logout and re-login on kde, konqueror takes correct file associations recently set.

Hope this helps...

Regards
Mariano

Rene Ducheneau wrote:
bcooksley wrote:Try running the command: kcmshell filetypes. that is the command line way to open the KDE 3 File Associations panel, any changes implemented here should affect all of KDE 3 immediately. I have a feeling you are using the GNOME tools, which of course KDE will ignore.

Thanks for the input. I am definitely using the KDE utility and not gnome. Your suggestion opens the same dialog window that I have been using. I tried it anyway with the same result. I get an "Updating system configuration" information window but the change is not implemented.

I just tried something...don't know why I did not try this before. My primary application that I wish to change is the opening of .pdf files. The system always defaults to xpdf to open these files. Utilizing the KDE utility, I just removed xpdf from the list of applications used to open .pdf files and I now can use Adobe Reader as the default.

I wonder if we have approached this from the wrong side. Could it be that somehow xpdf is configured to always be the default no matter what the KDE utility is set to? Just guessing here.
com2
Registered Member
OS

Re: Cannot change file associations

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:07 am
Well the same issue here with KDE 4.3.5.

The last post suggests that I need to re-login after the change. I did, but the change I made did not become active.

The problem I try to solve is as follows. A wine application has added some file association and now that application name is listed as the file type, overriding a default that I prefer. To make it more concrete it is the Color Impact application file association that now imprints its name on all plain text files.
I tried renaming, deleting the file association, nothing helps.

Would be nice when this problem is taken serious.

Questions:
Where are the file associations written? I would like to check the permissions or just renaming to have a new default file that works as it should.
Is there a log file where possible hidden error reports are written?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Cannot change file associations

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:16 am
Check for the Wine *.desktop files under ~/.local and alter them as needed. The entry to alter is "MimeType" or "MimeTypes" in the file.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]