This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icon Launchers for Wine Apps?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Icon Launchers for Wine Apps?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 am
Is there a simple way to make Apps run in wine show an icon launcher in the "Icon only task manager."

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
2x4GB Corsair Vengance RAM
Sapphire Raedon 4890HD Vapor-X GPU
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
1x80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD
2x1TB Western Digital HDDs
2x2TB Wester Digital HDDS
Corsair HX520W PSU
Thermaltake Mozart TX Case
Thaodan
Registered Member
OS

Re: Icon Launchers for Wine Apps?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:45 pm
No cause its groups per application and Windows applications run "in" wine you have to make exeption rules for wine (dont now its supported atm).
greatperson
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 am
Maybe it's worth trying to create symlinks to wine with different names and launching different exe's with different symlinks? Then, launcher will detect them as really different apps, I think.
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:18 am
Thaodan wrote:No cause its groups per application and Windows applications run "in" wine you have to make exeption rules for wine (dont now its supported atm).

Right click-Icon only task manager settings->launcher matching rules
Would that be the sort of function you are referencing?

greatperson wrote:Maybe it's worth trying to create symlinks to wine with different names and launching different exe's with different symlinks? Then, launcher will detect them as really different apps, I think.

Would I need to place the symlinks any where particular? Also you mean symlinks to the exe itself right? Would .desktop files qualify you think?

I know this is possible some how as I manged to accomplish it before, but have since forgotten how I accomplished to do it. Honestley, I try to avoid wINE at all costs, but due to lack of help or lack of alternatives may need to resort to it in some cases.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
greatperson
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 am
Xplorer4x4 wrote:Would I need to place the symlinks any where particular? Also you mean symlinks to the exe itself right? Would .desktop files qualify you think?

I mean, to create different symlinks to the wine binary. For example,
Code: Select all
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/wine /usr/bin/wine-heidisql
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/wine /usr/bin/wine-notepad++

And then edit shortcuts in the menu: in the HeidiSQL's shortcut I replace «wine» with «wine-heidisql», and in the Notepad++'s shortcut I replace «wine» with «wine-notepad++». But this was only an idea, now I see that it doesn't work.

While I tried it, I also thought that the launcher seems to be confused with this part in front of every command inside wine's shortcut:
Code: Select all
env WINEPREFIX="/home/maaaks/.wine"

So, I tried remove this from each command, too, then I killed & started plasma-desktop for Icon Tasks to rescan menu.

But all this doesn't work for me. :-( All Wine apps are still grouped, but take the first launched app's icon.

I don't understand anything now. :-(
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 am
@greatperson, well thanks for trying, I am not sure of the extent of your knowledge but it may be worth looking in to the .deb provided by Teamviewer on there site. It is packaged with what I believe is a stripped down wine binary to run teamviewer.exe. The wine binary does not rely on actually installing wine for your self and add a launcher matching rule by itself and makes the teamviewer icon look and act just like if it was a normal linux app. I think it even places a .desktop in bin/usr/(might have my path wrong).

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
luttztfz
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Xplorer4x4 wrote:I know this is possible some how as I manged to accomplish it before, but have since forgotten how I accomplished to do it. Honestley, I try to avoid wINE at all costs, but due to lack of help or lack of alternatives may need to resort to it in some cases.

I’ve just installed Mint Linux 14 KDE and had a hard time finding the Icon Tasks plasmoid. Apparently it is now called “Icon-Only task manager” (the version that is included in package plasma-widgets-addons at least). It was even harder to find the german translation: „Symbol-Fensterleiste“.

Anyway, I had the same problem at first. I installed TeamViewer from the official homepage (downloaded the .deb for Ubuntu/Debain and installed it with the associated application). This also installes a .desktop entry to the start menu.

IF you right-click on the started TeamViewer application, you will 1) have a Wine icon instead of the TeamViewer icon, and 2) it will not be able to launch again, instead it will start an instance of Wine, but without any Windows .exe to be loaded. So, it just sets up the user ~/.wine directory (once) and that’s it.

RESOLUTION: Step 1) I had to enable “Always use the launcher icons” in the preferences (right click on the task bar to get there). Step 2) I simply dragged the TeamViewer .desktop entry from the start menu to the Icons-Only task manager, between to already existing launchers the cursor changed into a left-right-arrow-bubble, then I let go.
FINISHED. I now have a wonderful Teamviewer launcher.

I wanted to do the same thing with a .desktop entry file from my desktop (~/Desktop/SomeApplication.desktop), but draggin something from the desktop to the Icon-Only task manager apparently doesn’t work (yet). Would be a great enhancement.
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:03 pm
[quote="luttztfz"][quote="Xplorer4x4"]Apparently it is now called “Icon-Only task manager” (the version that is included in package plasma-widgets-addons at least)./quote]
That's exactly what I said in the OP. ;)

Anyways, I had a slightly different situation, but the resolution you posted pretty much worked!
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109447&p=256479#p256479
Thanks for the tip!

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 am
Not sure why dragging from the Desktop did not work... did you initiate the drag from a Folder View applet shown folder?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 am
bcooksley wrote:Not sure why dragging from the Desktop did not work... did you initiate the drag from a Folder View applet shown folder?

In my case I tried directly from the Desktop using "folder view" to the Desktop folder's contents as my desktop.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:01 am
I would suggest filing a feature request against the Icon Tasks applet in that case, as actions such as this should work ideally to be fully consistent.

KDE Sysadmin
luttztfz
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 pm
Xplorer4x4 wrote:That's exactly what I said in the OP. ;)

Yes, I just wanted to emphasize it. Because in my case additional to the changed english name I also had to find the german translation… Also I hereby mentioned, that what was known as Icon Tasks is now part of the plasma-widgets-addons package on Ubuntu-based systems. This may help others searching for solutions as well.

Xplorer4x4 wrote:
bcooksley wrote:Not sure why dragging from the Desktop did not work... did you initiate the drag from a Folder View applet shown folder?

In my case I tried directly from the Desktop using "folder view" to the Desktop folder's contents as my desktop.

Also in my case.

bcooksley wrote:I would suggest filing a feature request against the Icon Tasks applet in that case, as actions such as this should work ideally to be fully consistent.

I’ll do so eventually, but for now I don’t have the time nor the account nor the experience to do so…
mbunal
Registered Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 am
but now all wine apps group under teamviewer launcher. isnt it? how can i display seperate icons for every running wine apps?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 am
Please note that as far as KWin, Plasma and others are concerned, Windows applications running under Wine are all a single application - Wine itself.
This is why they all get grouped as one.

You could disable grouping as a workaround.

KDE Sysadmin
mbunal
Registered Member

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am
but i dont use any grouping for taskbar. anyway as u said its about wine related problem. but it must be a solution to show each launchers itself. i try to use wm_class "wine". if add to that windows name such as "program.exe" but i cant.