This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Resolved: Customisation of my four desktops

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Hello
I am working with 4 desktops (working surfaces?) and a screen of 1200 x 1600 pixels, either Portrait (3 «working surfaces») resp Landscape (1 working surface). The cange of orientation is easy (Ctrl+Alt+0 or +7). Here a screen pic:

What I am now looking for is
either to get a second panel on the bottom with the attributed applications on it. Can one specify different apps on each panel in a working space? I did not find a way to do it. The existing one on the right has all the apps which I use on all working surfaces.

If not, then I put all the applications directly on the bottom right on the screen (like in the picture). But every time I change the orientation, the buttons are in another position. How do I fix these buttons in situ, so they rest always at this position, regardless of the orientation I choose.

And last: When I take away the name of the application (I do not need them), I loose the icon of the application. Where can I find them? Or in other words, where are the application icons stored? Same questions too for Desktop-Backgrounds. I'd like to put mine in there.

Thanks a lot for your response.

I am working with Mint-Lisa-KDE, Fedora and Sabayon. My system is 64 and I have a nVidia-GC i8400GS

Last edited by Arran on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
gdebure
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 am
Unless I misunderstood, I think you just need to add a new blank panel, that you can locate at the bottom. Then you may add the needed applications on it, as you did for the existing panel.

As to your questions on icons, they are usually in /usr/share/icons or /usr/local/share/icons.

Skrooge, a personal finances manager powered by KDE4
http://skrooge.org
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Re: Customisation of my four desktops

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 am
Thanks for your response. I tried that, but when I wanted to add the application with a right click on the Kick-off, it is always put onto the first panel. And as far as I know, the panels can not be individualised to the individual workspace. My Idea only works with that individuality.

I did find the icons, thank you.

Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
gdebure
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:53 pm
You can have different applications in different panels :)

Add a blank panel, then add the "quick launcher" plasmoid. Right click on the quick launcher, and select "add a new launcher". This will open a box where you will be able to select which application you want. If the quick launcher already contained some unwanted applications, you may also remove them.

Skrooge, a personal finances manager powered by KDE4
http://skrooge.org
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 am
Thanks, that has worked. However, this panel is not configurable for each working space. But most importantly, it works somehow.

Any idea how I could lodge a request with the developppers to make this individuality possible? And what would the correct term for this different «Arbeitsflächen» be in English?

Minio
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 am
Arran wrote:Any idea how I could lodge a request with the developppers to make this individuality possible?

Brainstorm section here on forums, I believe:
viewforum.php?f=83
The only problem is that not all developers read forums. Well, perhaps this is not a place to talk about it.

Arran wrote:And what would the correct term for this different «Arbeitsflächen» be in English?

As far as my German allows, I believe that this is how they have translated "Activities". But this may also be "Plasma containers".
You may:
- download po files of German translation (link are here: http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=de ) and grep them for "Arbeitsflächen" to see what was English term used;
- create new user and set English language for interface. Then find a place where "Arbeitsflächen" was used and see what is English term.
Generally having new user on your machine has many advantages. You will not use that account for work, so if something goes wrong, you simply remove his whole $HOME/ content and restore everything to default. I often use such account for testing.

Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 am
Thank you for your help. I will file my request during the next few days, I am a bit busy this week.

However, I did not really manage to get inside a reasonable time to sort out the suggested download, so I made a screenshot of the configuration windows of what I mean with «Arbeitsfläche». Now it is certainly easier for any user of an Englisch version to tell me the exact term of these 4 «Arbeitsflächen»?

Minio
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:26 pm
Arran: it's "Desktop" in English.
So my guesses were wrong.

Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski
Arran
Registered Member
OS
OK, thanks a lot. Desktop means quite a number of things.

Minio
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, but I am a bit confused now. I though that you have asked what does "Arbeitsflächen" mean in English. I have checked and it definitely means "Desktops" (in plural, as I believe "Arbeitsflächen" is also plural; "Arbeitsfläche" would be singular, right?). Then I consider this question answered.

Do you need any further assistance in that matter?
I understand your main questions/problems are still not answered/solved. Unfortunately, it seems that panels are shared across desktops/activities. You may post your idea and user case on Brainstorm section here on forum if you think that things should be different.

Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 pm
I am sorry, The translation is now clear, as you say, the desktops are the «Arbeitsflächen». However, what I meant was that the term desktop stands also for a computer which is on the top of a desk, opposed to a laptop. A desktop can also be a working table (wood, marble, plastic, whatever) where people perform work without a computer. But the main thing is, my questions have been completely answered.

Arran
Registered Member
OS
I finally could set up my wish in the Brainstorm forum. Please have a go at https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=107197 and, if you think it is a good idea, support me with your vote.