This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Picture frame widget on screensaver - settings location?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stan_qaz
Registered Member
OS
I've spent most of the evening searching for the settings that control the size of the picture frame widget that can be added to the screen saver or the desktop. I have the pictures appearing in the screen saver and can reposition the frame but I can't see any way to change the size of the frame. The same widget on the desktop works as expected and you can resize it by dragging the arrow tool in the pop-up toolbar but that toolbar isn't available in the screensaver mode.

I've tired looking in several of my Open Suse installs, 12.1 with KDE 4.7.2 and 4.8.4 as well as the RC1 12.2 with KDE 4.84 and am having no luck finding anything.

It used to work in the screen saver by grabbing and dragging the frame in an older version of KDE as the image sizes were adjustable there but at some point it quit working and I never noticed until I got a different resolution monitor and wanted to change it.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I suspect changes to the rest of Plasma may have resulted in severe regressions in widgets on screensaver - on my system it is non-functional (at least in setup mode, with a fresh configuration file for it).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
stan_qaz
Registered Member
OS
Do you know where the frame widget configuration files are located? I can't seem to find them even on a fresh install.

I can put a frame on the desktop and size it properly and then copy/paste the sizing information to the screensaver version of the config file if I can find the information's location.

I miss the original Unix concept of text files in a common location so you could fix something without hours of hunting for where the data is hidden. :-(
google01103
Manager
look at ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-overlay-appletsrc

should contain something like:
[Containments][1][Applets][3]
geometry=1663,148,250,350
immutability=1
plugin=weatherstation
zvalue=0

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

stan_qaz
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the location, I came back today to see if anyone had found the answer since I wanted to update several friends/family systems to 12.2 but they didn't want to give up their photo widget.

How would one go about bringing this problem to the attention of someone who could/would fix it?

Edit: Forgot to say the same file has the settings for other widgets so you can resize them by editing it too.
google01103
Manager
you should file a bug report on bugs.kde.org

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

stan_qaz
Registered Member
OS
Found it was already reported over there, added the file to edit to work-around the bug.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=279668

Thanks!