This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change scrollbar color in oxygen widget style

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I've been using QtCurve until now, but it doesn't support GTK3 apps. So i am trying oxygen widget style.

I want scrollbar grip to be blue. Is there a way to set scrollbar color in oxygen style, as currently in has button color?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you checked the colours available in System Settings > Application Appearance > Colours? One of them likely controls this. As far as I knew, Oxygen Gtk tried to follow KDE colours as much as possible...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I could not find an entry for scrollbar color there.
I tried applying available color schemes, but scrollbar color (the grip?) is always the same as button color.
I want to have a light color scheme with blue scrollbar grip.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hmm... if you change the colour scheme completely (to Obsidian for instance) does the colour change then? It should change in Qt/KDE applications at least.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
See the obsidian color theme applied:
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
The old saying, "Do it once and do it properly" evidently did not apply at the conception stage.
In your circumstance the scrollbar inherits it's colour from the window-background setting and to my knowledge cannot be changed independently using oxygen-gtk.
Much the same as the progressbar / selected-background combination and resulting inherits one finds scattered throughout the interface. So sad...
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
Do you know of any progress in QtCurve + GTK3 ?
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
blindvic wrote:Do you know of any progress in QtCurve + GTK3 ?

Afraid I don't know. I did hear there are efforts to resurect Bespin however.
luebking
pagoda wrote:I did hear there are efforts to resurect Bespin however.

What do you mean "resurrect" - i'm not sure whetther there's been even a month w/o a commit.
There's however no Bespin for gtk.
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
Hi Thomas,
Firstly many thanks for your great work and dedication to it. I chose the words above in relation to this post, and feel the actions at that time were the equivalent of putting the cart before the horse. I do realise all the while you have maintained your code regardless. To the OP's question and further, I think you understand well the many 'visual' shortcomings KDE users live with daily so again thank you for your devotion to the little details.
luebking
Thanks for the explanation.
The reported error derived from increased gcc strictness and HAD BEEN FIXED 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE REPORT - ie. "svn up" would have done.
Sending a mail or reporting a bug would have as well...

Well, the launchpad report and esp. the false and unfounded claim and handling quite supports my general perception of Ubuntu.
thomassisson
Registered Member
OS
It appears that color settings are not available in the user interface on the Ubuntu release. Unfortunately, installing a source not package for Ubuntu involves quite a bit of permission tinkering and can create dependency errors ranging from small to major--meaning anything from a something not being implemented to something refusing to run. Ubuntu is a nice install if you like defaults and this is your first foray outside of commercial operating systems, but it can be lacking for those who have used other versions of Linux.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
thomassisson wrote:It appears that color settings are not available in the user interface on the Ubuntu release.

What do you mean? Kubuntu has the same KDE as everywhere, including color settings.
luebking
@thomassisson
open a textshell (konsole) and run "kcmshell4 colors &"
To configure the oxygen style, run "oxygen-settings &"
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
I think thomassisson is referring to Ubuntu, and not Kubuntu, and if so UI is quite locked down.
In spite of this, it is still possible to change scrollbar and progressbar colors and style, simply editing by hand the gtk2.css and gtk3.css files of the selected theme in /usr/share/themes/<Theme>
Sad I say again this is not an option in KDE theme colors :'(