This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change icon theme of gtk2 and gtk3 apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
herophuong
Registered Member
OS
I'm using kubuntu 12.10 and want to unify the look of the whole workspace by using this Klementary suit: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=152404

The problem is:
1) When I change gtk2 and gtk3 widget theme to elementary, the gtk apps can not pick up elementary icon theme anymore but instead fallback to the ugly gnome default icon theme.
2) When using oxygen-gtk as the widget theme (style), gtk2 apps can use the elementary icon theme but gtk3 apps still can't.
3) When I use qtcurve, the gtk2 apps oddly pick up oxygen as their icon theme but not elementary.

Is this a bug and is there any workaround?

My config files for gtk2 and 3:

Code: Select all
# File created by KDE Gtk Config
# Configs for GTK2 programs

include "/home/herop-kde/.themes/elementary/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
style "user-font"
{
   font_name="Droid Sans"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"
gtk-font-name="Droid Sans 9"
gtk-theme-name="elementary"
gtk-icon-theme-name="elementary"
gtk-fallback-icon-theme="elementary"
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-button-images=1

[Settings]
gtk-font-name=Droid Sans 9
gtk-theme-name=elementary
gtk-icon-theme-name= elementary
gtk-fallback-icon-theme=elementary
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-button-images=1

Using gnome-settings-daemon doesn't help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which icon theme is specified in KDE System Settings?
What happens if you specify the Oxygen Gtk theme, but do not specify an icon theme? (This is my setup - and it uses Oxygen Icons - although my setup does not have GNOME icons available to it due to the way my KDE Trunk build and environment variables are set...).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
herophuong
Registered Member
OS
It is Elementary USU, another variant of GNOME Elementary but modified for KDE.
The link: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/elementary+USU?content=148128

In gtk configuration, I choose elementary but the original elementary. I've put that icon theme in /usr/share/icons and also created symlink to that in ~/.kde/share/icons and ~/.icons
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you check the environment variables set on your system for Gtk ones in particular?
export | grep -i gtk

KDE Sysadmin
herophuong
Registered Member
OS
Here:

declare -x GTK2_RC_FILES="/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/herop-kde/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/herop-kde/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4:/home/herop-kde/.kde/share/config/gtkrc-2.0"
declare -x GTK_IM_MODULE="ibus"
declare -x GTK_RC_FILES="/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/herop-kde/.gtkrc:/home/herop-kde/.kde/share/config/gtkrc"

Does that miss something?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately i'm out of ideas at this point, as the file names and all other details seem fine to me. Maybe Gtk has some form of caching in effect or similar... you would need to ask them about that however.

KDE Sysadmin
Deevad
Registered Member
OS
Just to say I'm also affected by the same issue.
It's not a easy part of KDE to have a good looking gtk appearance.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Could someone test to see if the Gtk theme oxygen-gtk is affected by this issue?

KDE Sysadmin
herophuong
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Could someone test to see if the Gtk theme oxygen-gtk is affected by this issue?

=> You can see number 2 on my first post.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Is the elementary icon theme (or other icon themes you want it to use) installed under /usr/share/icons or ~/.local/share/icons/?

KDE Sysadmin
Deevad
Registered Member
OS
I found a sort of workaround for the missing icons in GTK to make my theme a bit more harmonious :
I let oxygen-gtk as a gtk theme, when this theme is activated , KDE can propose icons to GTK via a custom theme ( ~/.kde/share/icons ). If I choose another theme ( ex: Greybird, or Albatross , or Raleight ) it fallback to a limited gnome 2 icon set. Sometimes, with some GTK themes, it's a mix of Oxygen and Gnome 2 icons.

So, I did a manual fusion of folders of downloaded icons ( it was long ) : I merged Faenza distributed for Gnome 2 and 3 with Kfaenza from GHNS with another Faenza proposed on Mint KDE 13 and saved them under a custom name of icon theme under ~/.kde/share/icons. Now the icons apply to all. I still have missing icons for Kdenlive specific features. I'll have to find them on oxygen probably and merge manually.

( picture result, Mypaint + Gimp + Krita + Dolphin with consistent theme and appearance )