This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

dialogue minimization?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gingerling
Registered Member

dialogue minimization?

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm
Hi, I am using KXstudio, and totally loving KDE! WOW! : )

I had to turn off the fade thing cause it was a bit trippy, but otherwise, its like GUI heaven :)

One thing though, when I minimise dialogue windows, such as my rendering progress on kdenlive, i guess things like firefox downloads would be the same, they disapear. To get them back i have to minimise and then re-maximise the parent window, like kdenlive or firefox.

Is there any way to stop this?

best

Anna
luebking

Re: dialogue minimization?

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:21 pm
See:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=231544

The Problem is that there's actually no reason to allow minimizing the dialog, but most taskbars don't show all windows to prevent clutter (yet do not implement WM logics like showing the dialog when clicking the button for the main window instead doing anything else) to compensate this shortcoming)

The window is still accessible throught eg. the "present windows" effect or most window list popups.
Gingerling
Registered Member

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 pm
ok, thanks :)
luebking

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:28 pm
FTR: s/no reason to allow minimizing/no reason to NOT allow minimizing/
Gingerling
Registered Member

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm
ok, so, I have just spent 5 mins using gimp (with which I am familiar) and this problem is actually really prohibitive. If you click on the image you are editing, all the tool box windows disappear, and with no minimised window in the task bar, it's just a mess. I assume there must be a way of stomping the dialogue windows disappearing on click? I have looked but can't find anything easily. I know not everyone uses gimp for work, but as its a pride of place piece of free software kit, I would expect the system defaults of any free software os to allow its use without this kind of confusion. Can anyone enlighten me further as to this issue?
google01103
Manager

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 pm
do you have hide docks checked? if so, or not sure, try hitting the tab key

if you run 2.8 you can select single window mode, no separate docks and no possibility of hiding

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Gingerling
Registered Member

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:17 pm
Hi, where are these setting exactly? I cant see them in my window behaviour menus :S
google01103
Manager

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:23 pm
both are under the Windows pull down menu, at least in Gimp 2.8

it helps if you post what versions of relevant sw you're running

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Gingerling
Registered Member

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:14 pm
hi, thanks, i am in 2.6.12 and the options which solved my issue were under prefernces, window management. I set both dropdowns to keep above : ) solved! thanks :) x