This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tooltip non-existant borders

Tags: tooltips, border, qr, color tooltips, border, qr, color tooltips, border, qr, color
(comma "," separated)
Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS

Tooltip non-existant borders

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 pm
Is there any way to specify tooltip* border color or at least make it visible? I use Oxygen Qt style and when tooltip background and window background color are the same it looks pretty bad. I think tooltips had borders before, but I'm not sure by now. There is no tooltip border color option in Systemsettings, at least I could not find it there.

I'm using KDE 4.8.4 from Debian testing (Wheezy) and have compositing(?) disabled.

* I don't mean Plasma tooltip, Qt one.

Do not try this at home, part 1. Second most favorite command after KDE upgrade: # chmod -x /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Tooltip non-existant borders

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:02 am
First thing I would try is changing the colour scheme in use, to see if you can change the border colour you currently have.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 pm
bcooksley wrote:First thing I would try is changing the colour scheme in use, to see if you can change the border colour you currently have.

Err… I don't have any borders, it's only background color and that's it. Changing color scheme changes background but borders do not appear. I guess that means there is no way to change it?

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5564/115t.png
(that's a button tooltip even if that happens to be partially over a tray in this screenshot)

Do not try this at home, part 1. Second most favorite command after KDE upgrade: # chmod -x /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 pm
That looks like a Qt tooltip. Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to set the border colour.
Just to verify, can you try using several other styles, such as Plastique?
This could be a Oxygen specific issue.

KDE Sysadmin
Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:17 am
bcooksley wrote:That looks like a Qt tooltip. Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to set the border colour.
Just to verify, can you try using several other styles, such as Plastique?
This could be a Oxygen specific issue.

Oh, there is a black border in a Plastique theme.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 am
Okay, you will need to make a feature request against Oxygen to get this implemented (or find out what setting to tweak to get this enabled there). If you continue to use Plastique however, you might be able to configure this by changing your KDE colour scheme settings.

KDE Sysadmin
Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 am

Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:13 pm
RESOLVED WONTFIX. User-friendliness, hell yeah.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 am
Unfortunate. It seems the Oxygen developer doesn't see a way to implement this that would be compatible with all the colour schemes available (hard coding isn't an option).

KDE Sysadmin