This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE upgrade to 12.04 Errors kubuntu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
paultabolinsky
Registered Member

KDE upgrade to 12.04 Errors kubuntu

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:11 pm
I just recently upgraded to Kubuntu 12.04. I could not login because error:
Failed to load session "gnome"
there was a down arrow, drop box with suggested logins, I was able to login with last on list: ...gnome failsafe
This got me into the system but not much else. I shutdown several times and finally got
a blue screen desk top however it's full of errors i.e.: The desktop entry file /home/pault/...has no Type= ...entry
for several applications. Then there is this thing'y (??):
Semantic Data Storage
Nepomuk Semantic Desktop needs the Virtuoso RDF server to store its data. Installing the Virtuoso Soprano plugin is mandatory for using Nepomuk.
Firefox works, most system tools. Libreoffice will open and open a file directly but not from the desktop since error is: entry file /home/pault/Desktop/openoffice.org-writer.desktop has no Type=... entry.
I tried to send a bug report but the web site is just ....not very responsive. The report data got lost someplace.
Need some help this is very trying and distrubing. :(
google01103
Manager
I'd suggest trying to redo the upgrade maybe some updated packages did not get installed/updated

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

paultabolinsky
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:I'd suggest trying to redo the upgrade maybe some updated packages did not get installed/updated

Thanks but
after several reboots and apt -get's and just fooling around the system seems to be healing (smart repair ??). An upgrade should have checks and error traps, or even several stages of upgrade to catch errors. I realize that many Vol's work on the sys and lot's of errors creap into the system but things can get out of control. I would gladly pay a min of $5 to $10 into a general Kpot to offset development so that others could benefit.
Paul T.