This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDM customization

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
trescryptique
Registered Member

KDM customization

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 am
Hi

As I think that KDE starts really slowly (same thing for Debian SID until the KDM appear, Nutyx, a French LFS derivate distributed as binaries, is there A LOT faster, is very fast!) I install always a second window manager having about the same apprearance, JWM and work with it daily (I use only the KDE window manager if I have to turn my screen 90 degre! I need that sometime to process customized land maps long in north-sud direction ;) !).

In Debian SID, no problem, JWM is now an official package since 2..3 years. It appear immediately under the starting selections of KDM. The real customization problem in Debian SID is that the standard application «menu» in Debian, used by Debian to elaborate automaticaly the menus of the window manager, don't process the most KDE applications !!! . Result: if you only install Calligra Office as I do, you have nothing in the other menus excepted you use the KDE desktop or have to rebuilt yourself manually the Debian applications list... Nonsens pure :< (I think it what NOT so in the past)! And it is not easy if you install a non English version of linux and kde, because you need to search heavily what is the internal short name used by KDE to start each application out /usr/bin because the used names in the KDE menu are often really translated and don't remember any more to the short name in /usr/bin...

In Nutyx is the problem different:

Nutyx has no «menu» tool! Nutyx deliver the secondary window managers with a standard everage menu including a lot of applications usually loved by users and you ca use it so as it is or erase youself what is not really installed (or even not hit on the preinstalled menu points!) or add, if you know how to do that, what is not available... As KDE is the standard of Nutyx, the KDE applications are sometimes taked under consideration. But in the KDM menu, no JWM entry as JWM is not available at Nutyx depository.

What is the good way to customize the KDM menu and add a window manager or erase one (TWM >:D !)?

(I did help me with a link to /usr/bin/twm but only me know that! If one other user will interchange the window manager, he will never thing that TWM is JWM in my installation!!!)

Where is the place of the Background pictures used by a/ KDM, b/ KDE Window Manager global, first window, second window etc. and what are the directive concerning format and resolution to uniformise my desktop beeing in other window managers?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDM customization

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:43 pm
Menus are usually generated from .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. KDE applications .desktop files are usually stored under /usr/share/applications/kde4. If not there, you can run: "locate dolphin.desktop" to find where your distro has put them.

The KDM menu options are specified by similar .desktop files located in /usr/share/xsessions (if not there, try "locate /kde.desktop"). You can try just copying one of the other files in that directory and modify it to point to JWM.

KDM themes are usually located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/
KDE backgrounds are usually stored in /usr/share/wallpapers/ and ~/.kde(4)/share/wallpapers/
The file which specifies which wallpaper is used by which desktop is ~/kde(4)/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: KDM customization

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:31 am
You can set the window manager used/launched by KDE at System Settings > Default Applications > Window Manager. You may need to register your desired window manager first however if it does not ship with the needed *.desktop file.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]