This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDM - Can the login & lock screens be combined?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Since I'm moving from Windows 7 to openSUSE, one of the differences I found with KDM is the login screen vs. the lock screen. In Windows, you get a single window for managing sessions. You login from the user list when you startup your computer, but locking your session will also bring you to the same screen... allowing you to either unlock your session or start a new one from the same page.

While in OpenSuse it's slightly similar, I miss being able to use the same window for both the login screen and lock screen. The login screen can be customized and themed in Yast, while the lock screen is a little window on a black background which only appears for a few seconds when you move the mouse. To start a new session, you have to click a button in this window which then takes you to the user list, a separate area.

What was nice about both being the same in Win is that by using Tuneup Utilities, I could assign a nice background image to the login screen, which would be visible while my computer was locked (until the monitor powered itself off). The lock window didn't look so dull either, and I would also see my user's avatar and stuff. In OpenSuse, a locked session is just black and dull, which feels pretty meh. I'd really like to change that.

Is there any way to combine the Lock screen and the Login screen? If not, can the lock screen be customized and themed at least? Merging them would feel a lot better to me, but it doesn't seem possible from what I'm seeing. KDM is the login manager, but is the lock screen part of KDM as well?
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Solved... I found the solution to my question. You cannot combine the lock screen and login screen, since the login is ran by KDM while the lock screen is managed by KDE, so there's no way to intersect them. However, enabling a screen saver will automatically display it while the screen is locked, which is even better. Being used to Windows I thought screensavers are only turned on after an amount of time, but here they work exactly as intended.