This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to completely delete icon theme cache? A lot of ? icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
latebeat
Registered Member
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my kde desktop and the icon themes. I've installed a bunch of them and after trying so many I can't seem to be able to switch back to some icon sets. For example I've installed Caledonia and kawoken iconsets.
When I first switched to Caledonia from the system settings/application appearance all the icons appeared ok. After that I've switched to kawoken and stayed with it for a few days and all good as well. Now when I switched back to Caledonia I get a lot of icons not working properly, meaning I either get a ? instead of the icon or no icons at all. Rebooting didn't fix the issue, nor deleting the file /var/temp/kdecache-$user/icon-cache.kcache
I've also tried deleting the whole Caledonia folder and downloading it again.

Any suggestions as to what the issue might be?

thank you,
anestis
google01103
Manager
when deleting the cache it is best to do it with your KDE session not running

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

latebeat
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:when deleting the cache it is best to do it with your KDE session not running

is that the only cache file or am I missing something?
google01103
Manager
you can try running kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental which rebuilds the system configuration cache

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

latebeat
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:you can try running kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental which rebuilds the system configuration cache

It worked! Thanks for that!

I also fixed a bunch of errors about some missing ;
so it's all good! :))

Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in "plasma-wallpaper-image.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in  "/home/latebeat/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in "/usr/share/applications/Kino.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/kde4/bluedevil-network-panu.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/kde4/bluedevil-network-dun.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/im-switch.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Actions in "/usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/jdownloader.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(8248) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in "/usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).