This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mouse cursor theme partially applied

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sxe
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,

today i noticed that my installed mouse cursor themes are only applied partially.
This was never different but until today i thought it was something normal. :)

This shows the preview of the yellow oxygen cursor theme. Everything fine here (like all the oxygen cursor themes).

But when using a different xcursor theme like xcursor-vanilla-dmz-aa it looks like this:
As you can see, only the first two and the last cursors are the correct ones. The cursors in between are from the oxygen black theme.

Is this "normal"?

Thx,
Andy
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This probably means the theme is missing those specific cursors - so it falls back, in this case to the Oxygen cursors.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
sxe
Registered Member
OS
Ah thats embarrassing, i checked that but obviously not good enough.
You are absolutely right, the cursors are missing, but that basically means, all the cursor themes on kde-look are not usable in KDE. Is that a known problem? I mean, GHNS should not offer cursor themes that are not working correctly, right?

btw, thx for doing such a great job in this forum.

bye,
Andy
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It likely depends on the cursor theme in question. As for GHNS - it depends on the authors of the cursor theme ensuring all necessary cursors are present, it is not possible for it to determine if cursors are missing. There are probably themes present which do contain all then necessary cursors.

KDE Sysadmin
sxe
Registered Member
OS
Probably but i guess very few because i did not find a single one.

So my question stays the same.

To make GHNS better KDE should only offer stuff that works like intended. The offered cursor themes are obviously not made for KDE, so i don't see the point in showing them. Am i wrong about that?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Nope. Mouse themes are however made for X in general - usable by other desktop environments as well.
Unfortunately the GHNS service is provided by kde-apps.org, and it has no way of differentiating them unfortunately at this time.

KDE Sysadmin
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Often you can "fix" a cursor theme you really want to use by copying and renaming the cursor files. Frequently all the cursor files are present, but are not named correctly and are thus not being used. I don't know why that is, tough...

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
sxe
Registered Member
OS
Hi scummos,

that is what i did but my point was, that KDE should offer the best possible user experience and offering broken cursor themes is the opposite.

Anyway, i think my question is answered here.

Thx guys
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
sxe wrote:Hi scummos,

that is what i did but my point was, that KDE should offer the best possible user experience and offering broken cursor themes is the opposite.

Anyway, i think my question is answered here.

Thx guys

I agree, but in this case it's semi-moderated user-created content, which cannot always fullfil the same quality standards which are required for core KDE components. Feedback to the theme's author is surely appreciated; and reporting problems to the people who create the themes is the best (and only) way to improve the situation here. :)

Cheers,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.