This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Caps Lock as keyboard layout switch

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Llama
Registered Member
OS

Caps Lock as keyboard layout switch

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:16 am
Hi,
I've mapped the Caps Lock key as keyboard layout switch; it works, but somehow I can't disable the Caps Lock function (I've got English in all caps, unless I lower them with Shift-Caps Lock). I suppose I should check some option in Keyboard Settings->Advanced->Caps Lock Key Behavior, but I can't find the right one.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just disable CapsLock in there so the capitalization function is removed, you can still use to key do map other combinations.
The same should actually also work if you choose "Make CapsLock an additional Super/Hyper" as both remove the capitalization function.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Llama
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Just disable CapsLock in there so the capitalization function is removed, you can still use to key do map other combinations.
The same should actually also work if you choose "Make CapsLock an additional Super/Hyper" as both remove the capitalization function.

It's a lot worse than that, unfortunately.

(1) 'Caps Lock is disabled': disability is too thorough. Among other things, no layout switching.

(2) 'Make Caps Lock an additional Hyper': the same thing.

(3) 'Make Caps Lock an additional Control but keep the Caps_Lock keysym': layout switch works properly, but no Caps Lock substitute to be found (one has a right to expect Shift-CapsLock to work like single CapsLock used to).

UPD:

It turned out to be unbelievably easy :) . Start right at the Advanced; check Key(s) to change layout->Caps Lock. That's all. Caps Lock will appear in Layouts->Shortcuts for switching layout->Main shortcuts: all by itself.