This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Solved] Sound volume at start-up

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DeMus
Registered Member

[Solved] Sound volume at start-up

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm
Hi,
Is there a way to boot with the volume set to a very low position, even though you shutdown with the volume set pretty high because you were listening to music or maybe watched a movie?
I do use the default start-up sound and when I boot the computer early in the morning, after an evening with music, I don't want my wife to wake up because of the boot sound.
What is the way to do that?

Thanks.

Last edited by DeMus on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeMus
Registered Member

Re: Sound volume at start-up

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 pm
Interesting forum. Two days and not one answer to my question.
Please guys, help this little girl. Please.
google01103
Manager

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm
see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886985
try placing a script using it in autostart or at logout (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24484)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

luebking

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 pm
DeMus wrote:I don't want my wife to wake up because of the boot sound.

DeMus wrote:Please guys, help this little girl.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

/scnr

If you're using kmix you'll likely have it to configure to NOT re/store the volume. Otherwise it'll override the alsa volume at login.
You can then set the volume during system init or session login (run "kcmshell4 kwinautostart") you can eg. use "amixer sset Master 30" to set the volume of the master channel to 30% (if it counts in percent, pulseaudio resolves to 16 bits or so - see the output of "amixer sget Master"

Using amixer allows to do this *before* the session actually starts.
DeMus
Registered Member

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 am
luebking wrote:
DeMus wrote:I don't want my wife to wake up because of the boot sound.

DeMus wrote:Please guys, help this little girl.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

/scnr

If you're using kmix you'll likely have it to configure to NOT re/store the volume. Otherwise it'll override the alsa volume at login.
You can then set the volume during system init or session login (run "kcmshell4 kwinautostart") you can eg. use "amixer sset Master 30" to set the volume of the master channel to 30% (if it counts in percent, pulseaudio resolves to 16 bits or so - see the output of "amixer sget Master"

Using amixer allows to do this *before* the session actually starts.

Wow, you are awake. Let me explain the beginning of your post.
The PC is my daughters PC. She normally uses it early in the morning to check her Facebook. At that time my wife is still sleeping, I am of to work so I don't hear it.
So, yes, both lines are true.

In the mean time however I found the place where I can switch of the notification sounds for log-in and log-out. In other words my problem is solved.
I did try your solution first but somehow it didn't help much. When I use the mute variant it doesn't do anything, the lower volume variant does work at boot, but I still hear the beginning of the sound. After the first 1 or 2 tones the volume is set lower. When I use it when the computer is switched of it doesn't work at all.
But as said, I found the perfect solution: no more sounds at log-in and log-off.
Thanks for your help.
luebking

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm
=)
I didn't mean to question anything - even if you'd be a guy pretending to be a girl to get better support. That'd be sexistic btw. - I'm more than my ****, there's also a head ;-)

Regarding the startup script, did you set it to run *pre*-startup? (Because that should definitly catch the login sound unless kmix tries to restore it afterwards)
DeMus
Registered Member

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 pm
luebking wrote:=)
I didn't mean to question anything - even if you'd be a guy pretending to be a girl to get better support. That'd be sexistic btw. - I'm more than my ****, there's also a head ;-)

Regarding the startup script, did you set it to run *pre*-startup? (Because that should definitly catch the login sound unless kmix tries to restore it afterwards)

Yes, I did set it to pre-startup but that was when I got the beginning of the KDE tune. When set to startup I got the whole tune. But now it's gone and peace is restored here.