This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Align to Grid and Desktop unused space.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
firewalker
Registered Member
OS
On "Folder View" mode when Align to Grid is selected a lot of space can't be used to place icons. On the image bellow you can't place any icon under the red line.

Can I do something? What is the right piece of program to submit a feature request for "Grid size", "Icons spacing"?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I am assuming you have Folder View set as your desktop layout?
Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce this - the gap I have here seems fairly normal from what I can tell, and it definitely extends down close to the panel as one would expect.

Which version of KDE are you using? Also, can you reproduce under a new user?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
firewalker
Registered Member
OS
Yes, folder view. I am using ArchLinux, and i have the same problem on any box I own.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
ArchLinux has shipped many versions of KDE. Please provide the KDE version, which is available from Help > About KDE in any KDE application, or from the output of "kde4-config --version" on the terminal.

KDE Sysadmin
firewalker
Registered Member
OS
Qt: 4.8.3
KDE Development Platform: 4.9.3
kde4-config: 1.0

The issue is old (as I discovered from older threads in various forums). But i hadn't noticed it because I wasn't using "Folder View" mode. There seems to be be some threads (without solution) for the icons grid spacing.

As I can understand the fixed (?) icon spacing doesn't allow an extra line of icons on the unused space. Can I change the spacing?

In kde-3 there was an option on ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals file for setting the grid spacing. It doesn't seem to work on kde-4.

Code: Select all
[DesktopIcons]
DesktopGridSpacing=x,y
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If such an option existed, it would be stored in the plasma-desktop-appletsrc or plasma-destkoprc files now, rather than kdeglobals.
I'm not sure if one can change the spacing the Folder View applet/desktop uses - the margin/spacing in use appear to be hardcoded from what I can tell, at least in the latest code.

KDE Sysadmin
firewalker
Registered Member
OS
In what piece of KDE4 is "Folder View" part? kde-workspace?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Due to it's use of code from Dolphin/Konqueror, Folder View is located in kde-baseapps.

KDE Sysadmin