This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to reduce panel icon size?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sling-shot
Registered Member
OS

How to reduce panel icon size?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:22 pm
I want to reduce the size of icons displayed on the bottom panel to optimize the space. I have tried Icon size setting for panel in Customize Desktop (System Settings) but it does not seem to change the size of those icons.

Reducing the height of bottom panel by customizing reduces the icon size but my aim is to keep the panel height but only reduce the icon size.

Check out this current desktop carefully. Compare the size of Dolphin icon in left corner of bottom panel and the adjacent Smooth Tasks area. I am aiming for the size to be as small as the Smooth Tasks size.

What is the role of panel icon size in KDE System Settings then?

sir_herrbatka
Registered Member

Re: How to reduce panel icon size?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 pm
You can edit panel file of your plasma style to set bigger border.
sling-shot
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:55 am
The idea is to try and improve the area occupied by Smooth Tasks. Increasing the border will not help there. Sorry I was not clear about my intention in the above post.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:06 am
This is an issue which has affected the whole KDE 4.x series unfortunately - and it is likely won't be changed at any point in the future from what I can tell. The only way to change the size of the icons is either programatically (by modifying the code of the applets in question) or through changing the height of the panel.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
sling-shot
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:36 pm
bcooksley wrote:This is an issue which has affected the whole KDE 4.x series unfortunately - and it is likely won't be changed at any point in the future from what I can tell. The only way to change the size of the icons is either programatically (by modifying the code of the applets in question) or through changing the height of the panel.

Thank you very much. At least now I know that my ideal cannot be achieved and hence concentrate my efforts on solving other "unsolvables" ;)