This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

hint-bottom-margin / hint-top-margin not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
josvanr
Registered Member
OS
Hi

I'm working on a theme for the panel in plasma. I'd like to set margins on top and bottom of the panel. Unfortunately :

hint-bottom-margin seems to only work when the panel is on the top of the screen. Ie when the panel is on the bottom of the screen, the bottom margin is set to 0 (ie icons etc are displayed on the edge of the screen, not at the set margin above the edge. Also: the bottom edge is not displayed when the panel is at the bottom of the screen.

Analogous problem for hint-top-margin and top edge.

Any hints?

josvanr

PS illustration: here top-margin=bottom-margin but apparently, bottom-margin isn't used:

tonnys
Registered Member
I'm registering here just to answer your question.
Well, KDE's way of theme design is sucks.
  • Their guide in their techbase's incomplete.
  • We won't know how to set margin or padding, e.g. in tasks unless we tried it.
  • Cannot use all weight or height (must have padding)
  • and last, you're on your own.
  • and you may need a restart just to try your theme.
Good luck! :*
josvanr
Registered Member
OS
Thnx ! Yes it's odd.. I submitted a bug report about this: the margin hint is ignored. I got a reply saying that this is done to 'save space' ... Ummmm HUH?

Well I kind of gave up on this, never mind, I'll look for another hobby.

I do have a tip for you to refresh the theme from the command line. i put this in a shell script:

#####################
cp /home/jos/.kde/share/config/plasmarc.airnetbook /home/jos/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
sleep 1
rm /home/jos/.kde/cache-bugix/plasma_theme_mwm3.kcache
sleep 1
cp /home/jos/.kde/share/config/plasmarc.mwm3 /home/jos/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
###################

this refreshes the 'mwm3' theme. It worked for the panel in any case...
tonnys
Registered Member
Unreasonable answer from them, hm..
Same here. I gave up upon it too. I think one reason why kde cannot compete with others on design is this attitude from kde devs (we know the best!). It's a pity.

Thanks for the CLI code. I might try designing theme again few months later.. or a year later, who knows :D.
Happy new year 2013.