This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Anyone know a good plastic surgeon for KDE's non-window UI?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
STrRedWolf
Registered Member
It looks like any UI theme chosen in KDE 4.1.x has gained fat (padding) and needs both liposuction and a face lift to tighten-up the flab. It doesn't work very well on these netbooks such as the Asus EeePC 900A that sport a 1024x600 screen. Does anyone know of a good digital plastic surgeon?
Maki
Registered Member
OS
What do you like to say, i don't get it.
could you say whats the problem without the needless sarcasm?
Screenshot could help too

Maki, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
YeahReally
Registered Member
OS
STrRedWolf wrote:It looks like any UI theme chosen in KDE 4.1.x has gained fat (padding) and needs both liposuction and a face lift to tighten-up the flab. It doesn't work very well on these netbooks such as the Asus EeePC 900A that sport a 1024x600 screen. Does anyone know of a good digital plastic surgeon?

Coming with 4.2

Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
KDE 4.1.96

How many bugs have you triaged today?
STrRedWolf
Registered Member
Maki wrote:What do you like to say, i don't get it.
could you say whats the problem without the needless sarcasm?
Screenshot could help too

Let's try a demonstration. You'll need Xnest installed.

At any terminal while running inside KDE 4.1.x:

Code: Select all
Xnest :8 -geometry 1024x600
DISPLAY=:8.0 startkde

Now, inside that Xnest window, try to configure KDE 4.1.x to use every pixel wisely. Minimize your window decorations (Quartz works well... if breaks a bit and that's another bug). Try shrinking the UI components down. For example, trim the space between the text of a button to the button's border itself. Remember, you only have a 1024x600 -- the same size in most netbooks including the Asus EeePC 900A. You do not want to ALT-move any windows if you can.

Infuriating, isn't it? You'll resort to sarcasm too if you ran 3.5.x on it previously, which was fairly tight, before running 4.1.x on it and realizing that the UI gained weight in the form of pixel padding.

The point I'm making is that the small screen isn't the big 1680x1050-plus screens, and while the system has the power, it's got a screen that's at the low-end of usable.

BTW, the 800x480 screen of the Asus EeePC 701/4G is barely usable with KDE 3.5.x in Kubuntu 8.04. I installed Kubuntu 8.04 on the 900A days before 8.10 (w/KDE 4.1.2) came out... and after a few days switched to Xubuntu 8.10 because of two bugs, this issue, and my increasing distaste of Dolphin (bugs filed already, this one got pointed here, and the "Please make Dolphin optional" bug is being fixed in 4.2).[hr]
YeahReally wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:It looks like any UI theme chosen in KDE 4.1.x has gained fat (padding) and needs both liposuction and a face lift to tighten-up the flab. It doesn't work very well on these netbooks such as the Asus EeePC 900A that sport a 1024x600 screen. Does anyone know of a good digital plastic surgeon?

Coming with 4.2

Okay, tighter UI, Dolphin/Konqueror file manager switch, hopefully the mouse style issues and Quartz window decoration issues being fixed by 4.2... Should be fun.

Last edited by STrRedWolf on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pox
Registered Member
Mmmm, after playing with the LiveCD on my desktop I'm not too keen to upgrade to KDE4 on the Eee... personally, I don't like the oxygen look, and it seems that it needs a lot of slimming down. I think I'm going to have to move back to Arch soon, as I want new packages, but the lack of a KDE3 option in Kubuntu 8.10 is quite infuriating.

Then again, I suppose I could always try to change the theme entirely... is Domino available for Qt4, and does it look the same (with same configuration options)? If so, I can just port my current theme into Qt4 and all should be well. I do want to give KDE4 a shot, as I've been bad-mouthing it for a while now due to the premature "non-beta" labelling, or more so all the distros switching to it. I have not tried thoroughly it since 4.0, and thus I probably have little idea of the performance, capability and stability of 4.1 and above.

Also, hi, first post. Good to have a forum for the king of desktop environments. :)