This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom Shortcuts: Send keyboard input - special characters

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Llama
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Is there a way to enter special characters as 'keyboard input'? One can type Shift+H:E:L:L:O for an action; what if I want to deliver em dash?
luebking
tried AltGr+Shift+- ("-" being the non numpad dash, AltGr+- is EN Dash)
Llama
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:tried AltGr+Shift+- ("-" being the non numpad dash, AltGr+- is EN Dash)

I'm getting the underscore, to no surprise :) .

Is there really no way to enter character codes (em dash being U+2014)?
luebking
Well, "to mine".
I've not hacked a special xkb setting and using the 3rd level shifter ("AltGr" on a german kbd) gets me em and en dash on that key.

I assume you just want to do that, do you?

No idea whether you can just DragAndDrop that char from eg. kcharselect into the action creator, but i wonder about your keyboard layout and whether you might have setup some specifics in the last tab of "kcmshell4 keys" if this does not work for you or, if the key combo and action fails on a particular client, the (non Qt, non UTF?) client pot. does not support those dashes at all.
Llama
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:No idea whether you can just DragAndDrop that char from eg. kcharselect into the action creator

No, you can not. I've tried.
Minio
Registered Member
OS
Llama: by creating custom xmodmap rules, you can create keyboard shortcuts that will insert any character that you like.

There is also old and mostly forgotten Compose key. You can assign it to some unused key (Caps-Lock, right Ctrl) and input any string you like by keys sequence of almost any length (but greater or equal to two).

Another pro of these methods is that they are X core, not KDE. If you ever change desktop environment, your shortcuts and compose sequences will go with you.

Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski
Llama
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, I'm going to try that.