This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

show keyboard layout onscreen?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lazylew
Registered Member
OS

show keyboard layout onscreen?

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 pm
My 2nd keyboard option is for Greek Ελληνικά 8) and I'm not familiar enough with it's layout.
Where can I set options to show a small onscreen keyboard layout?
lazylew
Registered Member
OS

Re: show keyboard layout onscreen?

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm
lazylew wrote:My 2nd keyboard option is for Greek Ελληνικά 8) and I'm not familiar enough with it's layout.
Meanwhile I discovered kvkbd on the system, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
kvkbd seems to be a "virtual keyboard" - whatever that means I don't know.
What I'm after is something similar but static.
Simply the keyboard layout shown on my screen when I switch to Greek, so I can see where the letters are onboard.
Perhaps this makes my question more clear :-)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I am not aware of any such functionality in KDE's Keyboard Layout system unfortunately.
A virtual keyboard is likely the closest thing you are going to get to the desired functionality in this case unfortunately.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lazylew
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 pm
bcooksley wrote:I am not aware of any such functionality in KDE's Keyboard Layout system unfortunately.
A virtual keyboard is likely the closest thing you are going to get to the desired functionality in this case unfortunately.
I did have this feature in another DE one time, but really can't remember which DE.
I found some images on the web though that I could use - I just need a way to put them on my screen as a sticky thing. This for example:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Greek_keyboard.png
I'm not familiar with graphics programs like gimp and such; is there a way I can simply convert .jpeg's or .png's to a format that I could put somewhere in a screencorner as a reference while typing Greek?

Last question is in an off-topic direction, but it would solve my initial quest 8)
jenaniston
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:30 pm
lazylew wrote:.. . and I'm not familiar enough with it's layout.

I have my keyboard set in one of the Scandanavian languages for the extra characters functionality,
but many punctuation marks are located differently because of the extra letters needed.
I keep a downloaded jpg of my keyboard style in a desktop folder and then just click to
one of the open/clear multiple desktops available to quickly reference that keyboard layout jpg
lazylew
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:11 pm
jenaniston wrote:...I keep a downloaded jpg of my keyboard style in a desktop folder and then just click to
one of the open/clear multiple desktops available to quickly reference that keyboard layout jpg
Which program do you use for that?
The purpose for me would be to have it open during my whole typing session, not just to look up one specific character - I don't know if the same is true for you?
jenaniston
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:06 pm
lazylew wrote: . . . have it open during my whole typing session, not just to look up one specific character - I don't know if the same is true for you?

I open the saved html file of the keyboard and do nothing else on that desktop - then will do all work and internet on any of the other multiple desktops, so I just click to the desktop that has only the keyboard, and can then just click any other multiple desktop to go back and forth when necessary.
Does that make sense ?

Here is a link for the Greek style of keyboard at this site . . .

http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/319
lazylew
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:38 pm
jenaniston wrote:I open the saved html file of the keyboard and do nothing else on that desktop - then will do all work and internet on any of the other multiple desktops, so I just click to the desktop that has only the keyboard, and can then just click any other multiple desktop to go back and forth when necessary.
Does that make sense ?

Here is a link for the Greek style of keyboard at this site . . .

http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/319
It makes sense, and I could do that as a workaround.
The link is only confusing - thanks just the same; I have an azerty 8)
donatzsky
Registered Member

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:28 pm
jenaniston wrote:I have my keyboard set in one of the Scandanavian languages for the extra characters functionality,
but many punctuation marks are located differently because of the extra letters needed.

If you have a standard US keyboard, you should really use the US-International layout instead. It gives you all the characters of a Scandinavian layout (and many more besides), while still matching your physical keyboard. Personally, I prefer the "alternative" layout, as it has fewer dead keys. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_l ... ernational