This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Appearance of applications: how to get wide character fonts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
oix29
Registered Member
Hi,
I have to help a person, using KDE 4.9.3, and I'm not an expert on KDE.
He has not a good sight, so I grew up the character fonts on the system (from the KDE configuration tool), so he is satisfied for the appearance of Dolphin or the desktop.

But what's about Gimp, LibreOffice or Firefox, the character fonts still undersized ! Is there a way to correct that ?

Thank you.
google01103
Manager
I would guess you might need to change those apps individually, though for GTK apps (possibly including Gimp) you should be able to use systemsettings -> application appearance -> GTK styles and fonts -> fonts

====================================
Gimp:

http://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html

How can I change the GIMP font?

You need to copy the gtkrc file that comes with the GIMP source (in the top level directory) into $HOME/.gimp/gtkrc . As of 0.99.10, this should be recognized. You then go in and edit the default font style, the one that looks like this:
style "default" { font =
"-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*" }

I'm sure ther's a lot of clever stuff that can be done here, and I'll try to track it down soon, but in the meantime, just change that "100" to something larger, like "120" or "140". (The number is points= 10, so 100 is a 10 point font).

Obviously, you could stick in any font you have available.

===================================================
LibreOffice:.

from the Help System

Choose Tools - Options - LibreOffice - View

Scaling
Uses percentile scaling for font size in user interface elements, such as dialogs and icon labels.

The Scaling setting does not affect the font size of text in a document.

=======================

FireFox

try this extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... e-changer/

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x