This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to properly/completely change the icon for a program

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
0xnak
Registered Member
I'm using the kfaenza icons and the default icon for dolphin is incorrect (it uses the wireshark icon.) A dolphin icon is included and I am trying to use that icon instead. So far, I have changed it by right-clicking the application launcher menu > edit applications > selecting dolphin, and changing the icon in the general settings. That seems have changed it in some places (title bar in dolphin and the icon-only task manager), but the incorrect icon still shows up in others. The two main places I still see the wrong icon are in teh notification widget (when copying files for instance) as well as the device notifier widget. Is there somewhere at the top level that I can change this icon so that it changes it everywhere it would show? Any help would be appreciated.
orbmiser
Registered Member
I would also be interested in an answer as ran into the same issue.
If anyone can chime in would be appreciated.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would suggest correcting the icon theme, so that the Dolphin icon in it matches with the "system-file-manager" icon.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
velma
Registered Member
A bit late as I only noticed the difference after installing Wireshark.
Besides system-file-manager as suggested by bcooksley, I also changed /usr/share/icons/kfaenza/kfaenza/apps/file-manager png, as well as under ...icons/kfaenza/apps.
I noticed another blooper
/usr/share/icons/kfaenza/kfaenza/apps/file-manager png and
/usr/share/icons/kfaenza/apps/file-manager png
64 128 and 256 shows nautilus tan seashell icon instead of blue dolphin icon

Did alot of copy dolphin png, paste, rename and continue, overwrite. Maybe this has been fixed by now. I'm using release 0.8.9
Edited:
Looks like the creator has offered a KFaenza icon patch v0.3 . at kde-look dot org.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The following location is incorrect, while the one following it is correct. I should note that neither path however contains the resolution, which is problematic if multiple sized icons are given. The degree to which this matters will depend upon the icon.theme file provided by the kfaenza icon theme however.
Code: Select all
/usr/share/icons/kfaenza/kfaenza/apps/file-manager png

Code: Select all
/usr/share/icons/kfaenza/apps/file-manager png

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]