This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop icon launches application plus a "phantom" process

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jjuracich
Registered Member
Good afternoon, everyone.

Here's the situation - I've created a desktop icon to launch the RealVNC Linux client. And it seems to work just fine with the exception of apparently launching a second task (in the task manager). This second task has the same description as the "real" one (VNC Client), and disappears after about 30 seconds.

I'm guessing that I have something wrong in the desktop configuration file - here's what it looks like.

Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
Exec=/home/jon-juracich/Downloads/Downloaded_Installs/RealVNC/vnc-E4_6_3-x64_linux_viewer
GenericName[en_US]=VNC Client
GenericName=VNC Client
Icon=/home/jon-juracich/Downloads/Downloaded_Installs/RealVNC/vncviewer48x48.png
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=VNC Client
Name=VNC Client
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

This problem isn't keeping me from using VNC, it's just something that's annoying and that I would like to understand!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try setting StartupNotify to false. This "phantom" process is called "Launch feedback" and is sometimes accompanied by a bouncing or glowing icon beside your cursor, depending on your settings.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jjuracich
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Try setting StartupNotify to false. This "phantom" process is called "Launch feedback" and is sometimes accompanied by a bouncing or glowing icon beside your cursor, depending on your settings.

bcooksley, that appears to have resolved the issue!

Thanks for your assistance!

Jon J.