This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icon differences on two machines with same configuration

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
colemickens
Registered Member
Hello all. I use a mix of GTK+ and Qt apps on my desktop and laptop. I use the Humanity icon theme on each.

To be thorough, each of these things are identical on both machines.
  • In KCM -> Appearance -> Icons, I use "Humanity"
  • In KCM -> Appearance -> GTK -> Icons Theme = "Humanity"
  • In KCM -> Appearance -> GTK -> Icons Theme = "GNOME"
  • ~/.gtkrc-2.0 -> ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
  • ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
  • the versions of humanity-icon-theme

Apologies if this is a GTK/Gnome issue, but I don't really know what else to check. Also, congrats on this forum, it's very clean and usable unlike other forums I've been using lately, and really most in general I can think of.

Despite this, notice the discrepency: (oh hey look, my laptop doesn't have that *stupid* Chrome account chooser...)

The folders are incorrect in Chrome (but not Firefox), and the back/forward or previous/next buttons are incorrect in Chrome and LXAppearance (but not Firefox)

Desktop

Laptop
colemickens
Registered Member
Installing xsettings-kde has had no helpful effect, unfortunately.
colemickens
Registered Member
Two things.

First, I can reproduce this invalid behavior on my laptop. I installed `elementary-icon-theme` which pulled in `gnome-icon-theme-full` and now Chromium is using those same stupid fallback arrows.

Second, my desktop also is showing icons in GTK menu entries even though it is absolutely turned off.
My laptop is not exhibiting these extra icons. Again, the checkboxes in question are configured the same on both machines.

I feel like I'm looking at a pair of weird bugs here....

This is "serious" in my opinion as well given that `gnome-shell` relies on `gnome-icon-theme-full`. (Not that I'm using gnome-shell these days, too happy in KWin/Plasma land).
colemickens
Registered Member
Ding ding ding, three's the lucky number. When I open the context menu on my laptop, my mouse theme changes to the default theme. Laaaame.

Anyway, here's screenshots of the GTK menu icons issue as well:

http://i.imgur.com/VfCc5s9.png (too big to inline, shows the "icons in menus" unchecked.... yet.... icons in menus)

and on the laptop, it looks as it should:

Hope I'm not sounding whiny. I'm just enjoying KDE and want to be able to reproduce my environment reliably across machines. Fairly certain there's an oxygen-gtk, or two bugs here, and then another regarding the X/KDE mouse themes. I'm willing to bet as soon as I remember the incantation to change the X server default mouse theme that it's set correctly on one and not the other...
colemickens
Registered Member
On my desktop:

Open KCM -> GTK Config -> Check, then uncheck both "Show Icons in GTK..." buttons.

Close, save.

Open LXAppearance, "Show images in menu" is checked. Uncheck it. Open LXAppearance, it has magically rechecked itself!!

Lots of weird interactions going on, I wish I understood more about how oxygen-gtk works...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In the Chrome preferences on the desktop, is "Use GTK Theme" enabled?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
colemickens
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:In the Chrome preferences on the desktop, is "Use GTK Theme" enabled?

Yes. In my opinion, it seems fairly obvious that the icon issue is a bug somewhere as it only occurs when gnome-icon-theme-full is installed. Chrome uses my GTK theme on both machines and KWin is decorating it rather than Chrome's custom decorations.

(And you can see the icons differ even in lxappearance. I had had a similar thought that it was a Chrome bug at first.
colemickens
Registered Member
By the way, the short term resolution is to not let gnome-icon-theme-full be installed. Unfortunately, gnome-shell and elementary-icon-theme pulls it in.

So, right now I don't have elementary icons installed or gnome-shell.

I did manually install elementary to .icons and symlinked into .kde/share/icons. and now I have elementary icons properly.

I still think oxygen-gtk shouldn't be pulling icons from the fallback theme....
luebking
Firefox is probably a skin issue (or personae or god knows what other messy laf layer they've introduced)
As for gtk applications, inspect the used rc files and their includes for the used "gtk-icon-theme-name"

rc files are the output of
env | grep GTK2_RC_FILES

Usually you'd edit ~/.gtkrc.mine (should be included by the mentioned above which is usually autogenerated!) and in doubt add sth. like
gtk-icon-theme-name = "elementary"

Your theme selector looks like the LXDE one which afair organizes settings in some ~/.local ~/.config ~/.lxde dir and loads one depending on the session it believes to be into.
The kde gtk module will unlikely operate on the same files so you'll be talking across ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (or similar) and some race conditions ;-)

I frankly ended up with using gtk-chtheme to quickly pick a general theme and edit all stuff i care about (NO stupid icons on buttons ;-) in the ~/.gtkrc.mine include
colemickens
Registered Member
luebking wrote:Firefox is probably a skin issue (or personae or god knows what other messy laf layer they've introduced)
As for gtk applications, inspect the used rc files and their includes for the used "gtk-icon-theme-name"

rc files are the output of
env | grep GTK2_RC_FILES

Usually you'd edit ~/.gtkrc.mine (should be included by the mentioned above which is usually autogenerated!) and in doubt add sth. like
gtk-icon-theme-name = "elementary"

Your theme selector looks like the LXDE one which afair organizes settings in some ~/.local ~/.config ~/.lxde dir and loads one depending on the session it believes to be into.
The kde gtk module will unlikely operate on the same files so you'll be talking across ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (or similar) and some race conditions ;-)

I frankly ended up with using gtk-chtheme to quickly pick a general theme and edit all stuff i care about (NO stupid icons on buttons ;-) in the ~/.gtkrc.mine include

Sorry, but I already did all of those things. And again, `lxappearance` uses the wrong icons as well... it configures GTK+ theme regardless of the DE.

My .gtkrc-2.0 file is absolutely correct. Besides, oxygen-gtk ignores it (for icons at least).

Plus, again, the very presence of gnome-icon-theme-full is all it takes to make this bug go away AND I can choose whatever icon theme I want and it works fine as long as that pkg isn't installed.....

gtk-chtheme does the same thing. The KDE-KCM module, lxappearance and gtk-chtheme ALL write to the same file, .gtkrc-2.0 (.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 is symlinked to .gtkrc-2.0). I'm really, really sure this is a bug related to the fallback gnome icon theme and oxygen-gtk.

And again, it really doesn't matter what you put in the GTKRC file anyway, if the theme is present in .icons and .kde/share/icons, oxygen-gtk overrides it and pulls from whatever KDE theme you have selected.

It's really, really good idea and it makes for perfect integration... EXCEPT when the fallback theme is installed. I can reliably reproduce this and spent a lot of time narrowing it down to that package...
luebking
Well, file a bug against oxygen-gtk then.
What do you want to ask here if you already know that (only this theme?!) prefers a certain icon theme under certain conditions.
Hoping for the oxygen-gtk developer to popup?
colemickens
Registered Member
luebking wrote:Well, file a bug against oxygen-gtk then.
What do you want to ask here if you already know that (only this theme?!) prefers a certain icon theme under certain conditions.
Hoping for the oxygen-gtk developer to popup?

Not trying to be rude, I promise. Honestly, I was hoping someone else knew something else beyond this, or could confirm it, or could shed some insight on how oxygen-gtk looks for icons. I've looked at a few patches that I think may have introduced this bug. You're right though, it's probably bug-filing time.
j_r0dd
Registered Member
I just wanted say I was having a similar issue with Chromium. I had it set to use the GTK+ theme and some themes would use the oxygen icons & folders. After lots of messing round last night, I had one of them that would apply the icons uniformly. The one difference it had was the line "Inherits=hicolor" in the index.theme. The others, for example, looked similar to "Inherits=kAwOken,ubuntu-mono-dark,gnome,hicolor,oxygen". I changed them all to look like "Inherits=hicolor" and they apply just fine now.
colemickens
Registered Member
Hm, now when I use my "hacked" solution with elementary icons installed manually (to prevent gnome-fallback icons from being pulled in and used)... if I use a base kubuntu image instead of ubuntu, I get a third different set of icons. (again, gtkrc files are identical).

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you checked to see if any other Gtk icon themes (such as Ubuntu specific ones, relevant to Unity) are installed?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]