This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem with visualitation of icons

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dragonnis
Registered Member

Problem with visualitation of icons

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:15 am
Hello i'm new in this KDE forum :P
I tell them the problem: i download the new update of the theme for Ksplash that, i use that it is Caledonia (I believe that it is the 1.3) and on a web about Linux they were recommending to erase the cache of the previous theme that was installed (let's say that it had the version 1.2), The cache it was in /var/tmp/kdecache-USER. For an oversight i delete all the files of cache including one that was calling icon-cache.kcache.
The problem is that now the icons theme that use (KFaenza) does not recognize any icons. I leave some screenshoots:

System Preferences> Appearance of the applications
The icon of Configuration GTK is not found...

The same happens with KolourPaint

I returned to /var/tmp/kdecache-USER and I see that the file icon-cache.kcache turned to create but the problem persists.

Does anybody know that it is possible to owe?

Thanks ;D

PD: I Sorry if this topic was in the wrong subforum
luebking
run "kcmshell4 icons", set the theme to sth. different (eg. oxygen) and then back to kfaenza.
I don't think there's a simple enduser tool to emit the required IPC message.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Another way you could attempt to fix this is by logging out and totally removing the cache directory. Ensure that no KDE application is running when you do this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dragonnis
Registered Member
luebking wrote:run "kcmshell4 icons", set the theme to sth. different (eg. oxygen) and then back to kfaenza.
I don't think there's a simple enduser tool to emit the required IPC message.

Thanks you :) but not solved with that.

bcooksley wrote:Another way you could attempt to fix this is by logging out and totally removing the cache directory. Ensure that no KDE application is running when you do this.

Would it have to enter to recovery mode and execute the following command as root?

Code: Select all
rm /var/tmp/kdecache-USER

Or
Code: Select all
rm /var/tmp/kdecache-USER/icon-cache.kcache

Many thanks to both for the help :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Simply logging out, then switching to a virtual terminal (Ctrl + Alt + F2), logging in there and running the command there should be sufficient.
It is not necessary to enter recovery mode.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dragonnis
Registered Member
Try with both commands and the problem persists
Some another idea?
I do not want to change of icon theme since KFaenza it is the most finished and has icons for everything
Do they know any theme so compelto like KFaenza?
luebking
Could it be that you removed the actual icons or some of them and were just operating on the cache before you removed that and are now therefore unable to rebuild the cache?
-> re-install the icon theme, logout, remove the cache, login.