This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Laptop with external display

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Bluefightingcat
Registered Member

Laptop with external display

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am
I currently use my laptop as a desktop replacement. 95% of the time I have my external display connected to my laptop via DVI.

I'm having issues with settings regarding my laptop display and my external display.

What I want to achieve is that my laptop display is always on when there are no external monitors. When I connect my external display I want my laptop display to automagically disable. Alternatively I want my laptop display to disable (as opposed to turn off) when I close my laptop cover.

The reason I need my laptop display to "disable" as opposed to just turn off is because of Nvidia Powermizer. The purpose of Powermizer is to throttle my GPU speed (and thus fan noise) based on the load and temperature on the CPU. Unfortunately Powermizer does not work (i.e. throttle the GPU power) when there are two displays enabled. When two displays are enabled then powermizer keeps the GPU running at full power regardless of the situation. I can only have one display enabled at a time to make powermizer work properly.

Does anybody know how I can go about achieving this? Maybe some sort of script?

BFC
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Laptop with external display

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:27 am
Which distribution and version of KDE are you using, and does your version of the Nvidia drivers support RandR 1.2?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]