This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Khotkeys window actions not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
koukasio
Registered Member

Khotkeys window actions not working

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 pm
Hi.!
I have a problem with khotkeys. What I am trying to do is assign a command to a window action (eg. window x gets focus) but it doesn't work, the command is never run. The command works with a keyboard shortcut. I wish someone could help me with a simple working example of his choice or a confirmation that it doesn't work in general. I am running KDE 4.8.5 on kudabu 12.04.
Thanks
PS: What I am trying to do is load and unload a xkbcomp configuration for each application each time it gets or loses focus (xkbcomp app*.xkb $DISPLAY and xkbcomp main.xkb $DISPLAY) . eg. I want different keymap for blender different for kde apps and a different one for gnome applications and some other customizations. This is really important to me.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I suspect the functionality of "Custom Shortcuts" (aka. khotkeys) you are trying to use has been broken at some point by changes in X, Qt or KDE itself. Have you tried experimenting with KWin Scripting to see if it can send a D-Bus signal (or something else similar) which you can subscribe to in KHotkeys?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
koukasio
Registered Member
Thanks for your kind answer,
No I haven't tried.... would you please give me more specific directions on how to do that? Or what manual to read?
I must find a way to load different *.xkb files for specific windows, and I am willing to achieve this no matter what.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hm, I think KWin scripting might be too new for the version of KDE you have actually. I can't recall exactly which version it began shipping with, although I do know that KDE 4.10 definitely has it.

Documentation for KWin scripting can likely be found on Userbase or Techbase. If you have other questions concerning KWin scripting, I would advise posting in the KWin forum (on this site).

I can't think of any other way, using functionality built into KDE at least, of doing this unfortunately.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]