This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dual Monitor Settings Not Saved

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Pete.805
Registered Member

Dual Monitor Settings Not Saved

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 pm
This topic/bug may have been covered before, but i was unable to find any conclusive answers.

Each time I start the desktop I have to re-set my screen settings for my dual monitors. KDE likes to default to "clone" rather than retaining the "left of" or "right of" setting.
From what I've gathered gnome is able to retain the settings, so I would assume there's an issue within KDE. I've tried logging in as root to see if there was a permissions issue, but that didn't help.
I've also tried installing the nvidia drivers via akmod, but there's an issue with it loading properly which left me with no video. At this point I'm just trying to get the default video driver to reliably work.
This wasn't an issue with the earlier Fedora/KDE packages, so I'm surprized we're still struggling with basic video setup[?].

Any input would be appreciated...
kde ver. 4.8
Fedora16 x64
vid card nvidia GTS 250
luebking

Re: Dual Monitor Settings Not Saved

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm
cat ~/.kde/share/config/krandrrc
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am
From what I recall, a new KScreen implementation does offer something to fix this, however only the most adventurous are trying this at the moment, as it is very new software.

For what you have, please make sure the "krandrtray" is running on startup as well. It will hopefully apply your changes.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
luebking

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 am
afaics, the randr settings should be applied from startkde, read out from ~/.kde/share/config/krandrrc
krandrtray does not seem to be required for proper function.