This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Does there exist a good weather widget for the taskbar?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Aardwolf
Registered Member
Hello,

When I used Gnome, I had this little temperature indicator in the task bar. I loved it and it was readable and accurate.

KDE4 also has something that claims to be like that, but it does not work:

-its contrast is too low to properly read it (grey font on grey "LCD" background)
-it does not properly update, or not frequent enough. Sometimes it shows nothing, sometimes it shows a wrong temperature (e.g. 11 instead of 14 degrees celcius)

Do there exist user-created alternative widgets? Is there one that is a more reliable temperature one, that works for European cities?

If so, how can I find and install it?

Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you tried using alternative providers to alleviate the incorrect information issue? For many people, multiple sources of weather data is available.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Aardwolf
Registered Member
There are to sources that work for my city, and two that don't work (with those the weather just shows '-').

The two that work both show 12 degrees now. But Google search for "zurich weather" shows 14 degrees instead, and I trust that one more, because I was sitting outside in tshirt earlier and it was ok, at 12 degrees that would not have been ok.
google01103
Manager
there are a number widgets yawp, cwp, lcd weather station, weather forecast and maybe others

Google'ing shows that their weather api was discontinued sometime around Sept, so that info is no longer available

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

luebking
Did you ensure it's the correct Zurich (Montana/Kansas/Switzerland) on either source?

Usually everyone's just passing on the same data source anyway, so deviation rather means connection issues when fetching the data or that the wrong location was picked (also you might be able to enter a city code to bypass this ambiguity)