This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where are the docs for KDE Desktop in general?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vfclists
Registered Member
OS
I have switched from Gnome and Unity to KDE Desktop on a number of systems and few bits and pieces here and there tend to be broken or different on them.

My main concerns are:

1. Be able to transfer settings and preferences from one system to another

2. Know the different packages which install different options so I can reinstall those alone when stuff gets broken

3. Know the files various settings are stored in, so I can edit them directly and backup and restore separately when things break.

Being a newcomer I am current using 4.10.2 on all systems so I have no backwards compatibility issues to worry about.

Where can these docs be found?
manifesto
Registered Member
OS
hi,

I dont know where to find this kind of documentation.
you could start to search here : http://docs.kde.org/

About your questions :
1. Be able to transfer settings and preferences from one system to another
usually user's preferences are set on .kde or .kde4 depending on your distro.
you have there files that keep properties and dowloaded applications/wallpappers/plasmoid/theme ...

2. Know the different packages which install different options so I can reinstall those alone when stuff gets broken
It depends on your distro.

3. Know the files various settings are stored in, so I can edit them directly and backup and restore separately when things break.
As in #1 everything is on your home directory.
KDM settings however are usually set in the system (/etc/kde4/kdm)

I hope it helps.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would recommend transferring the following directories when moving your user configuration, if they are present.
Code: Select all
~/.config
~/.local
~/.kde
~/.kde4

Ideally, you should transfer your entire home directory however.

When doing these transfers, please make sure it is between the same version of KDE, or a newer version. Downgrading is not supported.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]