This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Default Panel: the launcher(s) on the left

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Llama
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

What is the launcher on the left, by default containing Dolphin and the default browser? How am I supposed to customize it? It doesn't feel like Quicklaunch at all.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Assuming you mean the launcher which opens up and offers options such as "Favourites", "Applications", "Computer", etc. then this is Kickoff.

With regards to customisation, you can remove items from the Favourites section by right clicking on them > Remove From Favourites.
To add items to it, simply find that application in the Applications section of the applet, or by searching through the applet, then right click on the application > Add to Favourites.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Llama
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Assuming you mean the launcher which opens up and offers options such as "Favourites", "Applications", "Computer", etc. then this is Kickoff.

By Kickoff you mean just the glorified start menu button, I presume. No, I mean a small group of icons (Dolphin and Konqueror by default) sitting on the panel itself, to the right of Kickoff which does not make them far from the left end of the panel.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Ah, these could be one of two things:
1) Application shortcuts. They can be removed simply by right clicking on them and selecting "Remove this Icon". New ones can be added by dragging applications from the menu to the panel and dropping them in the correct location. If you want to rearrange them, open the panel controller (through the cashew on the far right of the panel) which will allow you to rearrange all applets on the panel.

2) Task Manager launchers. I'm not too familar with these i'm afraid. To create new ones, simply right click on a running application entry and ensure "Show a Launcher when not running" is checked. A similar entry should be available to allow them to be removed. I'm not sure if you can rearrange them however.

They can be distinguished from each other as Task Manager launchers will disappear when the application in question is running (or has a window open).

KDE Sysadmin
Llama
Registered Member
OS
Thanks!
Llama
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:2) Task Manager launchers. I'm not too familar with these i'm afraid. To create new ones, simply right click on a running application entry and ensure "Show a Launcher when not running" is checked. A similar entry should be available to allow them to be removed. I'm not sure if you can rearrange them however.

At least you can do it by brute force. ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc:
[Containments][1][Applets][76][Configuration][Launchers]
Items=file:///usr/share/applications/chromium.desktop?wmClass=Chromium, ...

file:// items can be rearranged by cut'n'paste.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would advise closing Plasma Desktop itself before making such changes, as otherwise your changes are likely to be overwritten by Plasma Desktop next time it quits.

You can close Plasma Desktop by running:
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma-desktop

It can be started again by running:
Code: Select all
plasma-desktop

KDE Sysadmin
Llama
Registered Member
OS
It's going to come in useful. Thanks!